Hillick & Hobbs Riesling

Paul Hobbs is releasing a NY Riesling. I believe he’s been working on this project for years and is a native New Yorker.

• VARIETAL COMPOSITION: 100% riesling
• Pressed whole cluster
• Partial native malolactic fermentation
• 100% stainless steel fermented and aged
• RS: 5.2 g/L
• pH: 3.04
• TA: 6.3 g/L
• ABV: 12.5%
• Bottled unfined, August 2020

Any buyers?

https://hillickandhobbs.com/

Not Frisch

1 Like

Grabbed the tech notes just for him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Price seems to be on the higher end for a NY rieslings, but then again, it is Paul Hobbs, so it’s not entirely unexpected or out of character. Might give it a go if I see it on a local shelf at a more attractive price. At $35, there’s plenty of other rieslings competing for attention though.

I’ll be swinging through the Finger Lakes at some point this summer & will probably swing by and grab a bottle or two. I saw an interview with Paul and his daughter (who is getting into the business) about this project and it looks like he’s put a lot of time, money, and passion in to do it right.

Price is in line with winery direct prices for the top rieslings from Weimar, Ravines, And Forge.

I went in on a case with a couple of friends. I’m a big fan of FLX riesling so I had to give it a shot. It’s not cheap, but I agree that it’s not that far off from some of the higher-end producers, and worth a shot. I’m happy to report back here after cracking one.

I had a chance to taste this wine over the weekend and we were all pretty impressed with it. I wasn’t able to take detailed notes, but would broadly say that while it was fairly typical for a FLX dry riesling, this wine had a touch more body and fruit to help balance out the high acids you typically find. When I first got into wines from this region I leaned in on the driest, most acid driven examples - but now am starting to appreciate those with more fruit or a hint of RS. (Don’t get me wrong - this wine comes off as quite dry)

The stats posted by the OP exactly support my experience, with the slightly elevated RS and partial malolactic.

While the price is a tad high, I’m happy with the purchase.

1 Like