just a comment about Bordeaux value, and children future value

This may or may not be helpful/interesting to Beserkers…but I just am finishing a Lanessan 2001. To be fair it is slightly pass prime, although still has beautiful cassis and fruit. Maybe a bit thin, but omg what a pleasure. I love great Bordeaux, and have many the trophy wines…but where does one find joy in a properly aged mid-range Bordeaux. I have a cellar full of great California and bordeaux, will it ever bring me the joy of this wine i bought for $14 on release…I think doubtful. I am wondering what bottles my children will buy that in 20 years will bring them such joy, outside trophy wines, which they are unlikely to buy currently. What wine will they look back and say…wow what a joy. What a gift to be able to find such a value in the cellar.

5 Likes

Are you looking for $14ish bdx wines that you can buy or would you account for inflation since 2001?

Love this post. And I love that 2001.

My sentiments exactly, see my post from last year on the 1999 Lanessan.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=2886214#p2886214

I wish my cellar was loaded with wines like this. And I keep saying it, for us daily drinkers, these wines are more important than trophy wines.

1 Like

So fascinating I have a cellar full of Sociando back to 86. I guess you hit my point…They bring me more joy than so many “trophy wines”. I hope my children will find these because that to me is really about what #wine is really about!

1 Like

Opened a 2002 Prieure Lichine tonight that hit that “this is what wine is really about” spot. When I bought it the cost was $28.99. Very fair. Should have bought a case.

I didn’t have time to read the post, so just going by the title. I’d guess that the wines’ value will go up over time, and the kids’ will go down, so my recommendation would be to sell the kids now and buy wine.

4 Likes

Obviously, it’s a guess. If I look at the less expensive “take a guess” bottles I bought the kids, here’s a partial lineup:
Conceito Douro
Cosse Maisonneuve Les Laquets
Domaine Tempier
Guiberteau Les Arboises
Joguet Cuvée de la Cure
Castello di Fonterutoli GS
Various PdB Barbaresco
Domaine de l’Écu Muscadet
Julien Pilon Cornas
Boudignon Clos de la Hutte

Most Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Barolo, Brunello, Super-Toscans, etc. are above the “QPR”.

Cheaper Bordeaux I bought are:
Sociando-Mallet
Prieuré-Lichine
Phélan-Ségur
Siran

All very helpful, I was not so much trying to drive to “give me a list”, I was just driving to what a joy to be young…buy a wine…and 20 years latter be able to say what a joy. Outside of trophy wines. This is what it is all about!

2 Likes

Yep! The “give me a list” is me hoping what I bought the kids will give them the joy you are experiencing with that 2001 Lanessan. Buy, hold, give away and keep your fingers crossed!

I’d posit that Sociando does it best.

Hard to imagine a better, more consistent Bordeaux over the long haul. Like John, I have a smattering of older ones back to 1986, but fast forward to the present, the 2014 came out at sub-$30, and it’s excellent. As is as the 2014 Lanessan. I bought lots of both. These will reward patience and make me a very happy man in my dotage.

1 Like

According to BLS.gov, $14 in 2001 is worth $21.18 in 2021.

2019 Lanessan futures are currently about $14 pretax on Millesima.

Well my Cayuse magnums make me wonder what I was thinking.
For value and longevity, Bdx is great. Lanessan and Poujeaux are two of the best in that category that come to mind. While not in the same QPR ballpark, I went sort of big on the 2016s and I suspect my kids will get to enjoy most of them at their best:
d’armailhac
lafon rochet
branaire ducru
la clotte
la prieure
la dominique
canon la gaffeliere
fonplegade

Whether it was boredom or frustration from the lock-down I don’t know, but in 2020 cherry picked several cases of 2018 Burgundy during on line sales. The NSGs will benefit the kids more than me I think. Cheers.

We just had a Talbot 1986 last week . What a joy , we all loved it . Maybe slightly more expensive than Lanessan .
In that category , I love wines such as Sociando Mallet and La Lagune . Beychevelle and Lagrange is more expensive but also a favorite .

I’m 28 and can’t really afford trophy wines except once in a while, so this is what I do!

I totally separate the joy, pleasure a bottle of wine gives me from the price it had (I also tend to drink 60-70% of all wines blind). My joy comes from the technical abilities and the hedonistic pleasure a wine gives me and price is just not one of the criteria I look at.

The number of sub $30 Bordeaux with aging potential has basically been disappearing, although there are a few minor exceptions left. Greysac, Loudenne, Siran, Chasse Spleen, Potensac, Poujeaux and Lanessan although the latter three are making modern wines. There are plenty of lower quality wines being made but not being imported.

I would argue that other regions are also pricing themselves where great wine bargains are also almost gone. Look at Rioja for instance. I come back to that last area of value, German wines. You can buy something magnificent with real aging potential for $30.

Are you sure? The quality of crus bourgeois is as high as it has ever been. A wine like Citran can easily age for 20 years, like Caronne Sainte Gemme or Cambon La Pelouse, to name just three - but there are loads more. I had one last night, Paloumey 2015, which really surprised me and which will certainly age beautifully - plus, it was made in a classic style.

I don’t know what prices are in the US but I imagine that Siran, Poujeaux and Chasse-Spleen are a little pricier than $30 these days.

2 Likes

Sadly, Siran flipped to the dark-side as well. The 2015 was touted on BWE but I found it much too glossy.

The 2016 Chasse Spleen is a deal. Snag it up.

We love the '86 Talbot. I still have slightly more than a case left.