Ever Wanted to Live on a Vineyard and Bottle your own Wine?

Saw this on AMEX Departures

From Amex:
One of the latest properties from private community real estate developer Discovery Land Company, the 800-acre enclave has a list of incredible amenities like an 18-hole Tom Fazio-designed golf course, a picturesque lake, clubhouse, kids’ area, and fine dining options. That’s in addition to the signature Outdoor Pursuits program offered at all Discovery properties, where a recreation concierge can set up fishing, hiking, tubing, zip-lining, and more. But wine lovers get the extra treat at this outpost.

Spanning over 70 acres with plans to add around 50 more acres, members can lease rows of grapes to create their private-label wine. They will be guided through tasting and selecting preferred flavors by choosing the final bottle and creating a personalized label. There is no worry for members about how the grapes should be tended to – the on-hand staff care for the entire vineyard. What’s more, are some of the residences actually have the vineyard as their backyard.

In Texas?? I will pass

No

Texas! Lol, no.

Only guys like Kane and Ryan can handle a crazy state like that, while normal people like me flock to Florida. And grow citrus trees.

Yeah I personally do not equate Texas with wine, but the concept is interesting. For years they made developments around golf courses, so it is interesting to see them incorporating other interests (like wine) into a community environment where you can lease the land and bottle your own.

Hell no, especially if there is a golf course involved!

I can see how the vines could make a novel trap.

I imagine there will be lots of business cards printed with the word ‘Vintner’ with the intention to toss it on the counter expecting comped tastings when they visit Oakville.

Why not? There are many CA winemakers who are either moving to TX or arranging to make wine there. Look, it’s impossible to know the ‘quality’ of what will be produced, but this is one step more serious than the ‘CrushPad’ concept, where you are able to ‘make’ your own wine by contracting to get fruit from specific vineyards, ‘manage’ the winemaking process, etc . . .

I guess time will tell, but I’m sure it’ll be popular . . .

Texas has long been plagued with those making inexpensive and “touristy” wines, but there are some serious players making interesting things. And for that matter, some of the famous names can be quite good. When I do cellars here, there are often leftover Texas wines that I take with me along with other “unauctionables” rather than toss them out- and so I have had quite a number of Texas wines with 10+ years of age on them.

Becker Cabernet ages very nicely- 10 years or so. And a number of smaller wineries, some now gone like Bell Mountain, make/made Cabs and blends that can age and improve for 20 years or more. Not competitive with the first growths- but certainly with mid-tier CA Cabs.

Cruz de Comal is another one to watch. Lots of experimentation there to find the right grapes to achieve the best results.

As for the OP - yes I have often dreamed of living on a vineyard and bottling my own wine, and that dream may come true. But in my version, I am living in the Mosel or the Cote d’Or and have a handful of very tiny plots, a quaint little farmhouse, and do most of the work myself. Golf and servants don’t really come into the picture. I cannot imagine being 70 years old and wanting to own and manage a giant estate with its own golf course.

This is next door to the original Salt Lick BBQ restaurant… that gives it some bonus points.