USA Chardonnay that might impress a French zealot of white Burgundy?

I list my few on-hand bottles of American Chardonnay below. I am looking for suggestions on which of these might impress a French guest who loves white Burgundy. Beyond that, I would welcome other suggestions for USA Chardonnay that might be “eye-opening” (in a good way) for a French white Burgundy oenophile. Thanks.
2016 Ramey Chardonnay Rochioli
2016 Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay Estate Grown Napa Valley
2016 Chappellet Chardonnay Grower Collection El Novillero

I think Ceritas falls into that category - I think their Zephyr is amazing and very European. Goodfellow, Patricia Green, Enfield, Failla “Big Egg”, Tyler etc all fall into that category.

I’d go with Rhys Horseshoe or almost any Chardonnay from Ceritas or Kutch.

Walter Scott X-Novo

Ramey Hyde

Kutch Chardonnay and/or Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard

The brilliance of new world fruit with old world styling.

1 Like

Mount Eden Estate Chardonnay

2 Likes

Adding a Central Coast Cali perspective. I have found that Sandhi’s whites present this way, apart from their first 2-3 vintages (2009-2011). Most of Liquid Farm’s whites connote Chablis. Let us know where you land.

Jonathan

I’d second Walter Scott (esp. X Novo), Goodfellow, and Ceritas

I’ll 2nd the Mt. Eden Estate.

LOL. My mind is wired now that when it smells sulfur, I think “someone’s blinding me on X-Novo again.”

Ceritas

are you looking for wines that you can buy in a store locally or ones that can be shipped in from a west coast retailer or winery?

are you also looking for something that is french-ish or something more “american” that would possibly appeal to their palate?

flexible on both, Keith Thanks

this just makes it fun [cheers.gif]

I don’t know what’s available locally for you, but if you’re going a more french-ish route, then definitely put some Walter Scott or Goodfellow in front of them (Liquid Farm as well).

people have mentioned Ceritas as something more French in style, but I just had a Heintz vertical this past weekend and didn’t find them to be like that (more like a top-end Margaret River Chard if we’re making comparisons), but you should absolutely open up some Ceritas for them and Rhys would also be great IMO.

Lot’s of great suggestions provided already, but one that you could add to the list is Hanzell Chardonnay

Kutch for sure

Ramey Hyde

Mt. Eden Estate

Various Oregon Chards fit the bill but I don’t have enough experience to offer much that’s useful

Nowadays I have to tell ppl “I’m not blinding you on Walter Scott” whenever I bring a blind white wine

1 Like

It’s become the equivalent of playing Stairway to Heaven in a guitar store.

1 Like

I was going to add this point.