TN: Two Bedrock SauvBlancs '16...(short/boring)

After our Bedrock/O&F tasting last Wed, we stayed for dinner & tried these two Bedrock SauvBlancs:

1. Bedrock SauvBlanc SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.1%) 2016: Light gold color; very strong SB/melony/ripe/slight herbal/lemony slight earthy almost muscatty very fragrant nose; fairly tart quite rich/lush very melony/SB/spicy/slight herbal slight pencilly/oak lovely flavor; very long/lingering rather rich/lush ripe/melony/SB/bit floral/almost muscatty slight herbal bit pencilly/oak finish; a beautiful SB that reminds more of Sudstiermark or Friuli than Calif.

1. Bedrock SauvBlanc Staves of Waidhofen (Fassbinderei Stockinger/Austria; 14.1%) 2016: Light gold color; fairly ripe/melony/SB/very slight herbal very fragrant almost pineapply/R/muscatty some smokey/pencilly/oak rather complex nose; fairly tart ripe/melony/SB/lemony quite floral/almost muscatty/R/pineapply slight earthy/mineral some pencilly/smokey/oak fairly complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/SB/melony/lemony/bit herbal ripe/lush some smokey/pencilly/oak rather complex finish; a beautiful expression of ripe SB.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Staves: Franz Stockinger is regarded by most winemakers as the producer of the RollsRoyce of oak cooperage. JancisRobinson labels him the Stradavarius of oak barrels:
    StockingerBarrels

They are noted for the craftmanship. Presumably they are expensive, reflective of their demand. They are carried in the USofA by RajParr and MarthaStouman. Franz sources his oak from a number of different Austrian/Hungarian/French/Central Europe forests. A can’t say that I can identify a distinctive smell/taste of Stockinger oak but the one large barrel I’ve seen was a beautiful piece of woodworking craftsmanship.

I’m not a huge fan of the SauvBlanc grape, but the SB that Morgan makes are easily my favorite from Calif.
Tom

I’m a big fan of the Bedrock S-B’s too. That’s great that you were able to hold onto a couple of 2016’s this long (I’m working on 2018’s this summer). I think I actually like the Judge V-Y more than the Staves bottling. Cheers!