Monday TNs: Two mature Riesling

And I hope Otto doesn’t give me a hard time for defining these as “mature” ;^)

Anyhoo, my better half is making a roast chicken for dinner tonight, and while I know what the “classic” pairing for this demands, I have to be honest and say that chicken and pinot noir has never really floated my boat. So I wanted a white to pair with the bird, but something that comes across as richer/more full-bodied. Both of these delivered in spades - if I have a preference for the Steiner Hund, it is only because that came in a 750 instead of a 375!

• 1990 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace (4/19/2021)
    Full amber/gold-colored in the glass. There is an oxidative note on the nose like you might get from a mature white Burgundy. Dry, with ripe fruit on the palate - lengthy finish. This is a real treat on a Monday afternoon ;^)

From 375.

• 1997 Nikolaihof Riesling Steiner Hund - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (4/19/2021)
    Similar in color to the '90 Clos Ste Hune I just had. This is slightly more substantive on the palate than the first wine, but might also have a touch less acidity. To be honest, not sure I could pick a favorite right now, but will have to say that I randomly picked two pretty interesting wines for a Monday afternoon tasting.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Yum aged Trimbach is always a treat!

Couple of beautiful bottles for Patriots Day Bob! Thanks for the notes. I have an orphan of the 90 Trimbach CFE waiting for me downstairs, have always loved that wine

Both great vintages in their respective areas.