TN: 2018 Pic & Chapoutier St. Péray Lieu-Dit Les Payrolles

• 2018 Pic & Chapoutier St. Péray Lieu-Dit Les Payrolles - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Péray (4/19/2021)
    The CT note suggesting a 95 point score is a bit over the top, and I do not find it thick, but it is definitely an excellent wine. 100% Marsanne. The website reports granitic soil at high altitude in Payrolles. Whole bunches pressed, I guess without destemming. Fermented in casks under “controlled temperature” with natural yeasts. Aged in demi-muids (600 l) from 10 to 12 months. ABV is 13.5. No comment on the age of the barrel, but my guess is that there is very little new oak, which when added to the larger barrel size, lets the grapes develop their own character.

Crisp with no oak notes. Nose gives off a bit of honeysuckle. Palate is white fruit and citrus. Very smooth and not oily like some other Rhone whites. Moderate to long finish. Maybe even longer. Interesting that the ABV is only 13.5% Although I do not sense any excess alcohol on the palate, I do feel it a bit more than usual in my head afterwards. This wine is $51 on the winery website in France. No negative characteristics or criticisms at all. Very well made. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A small, isolated vineyard. Consider street view Weinlagen

1 Like

Thanks. Very interesting. It is on a hill that faces west southwest, meaning it gets its sun in the latter part of the day. I have had a number of winemakers who argue that southeast facing vineyards are the best because they get morning sun that dries the dew and avoids rot and fungus. But what do I know. I just like the stuff.

1 Like