Rhone tasting - decant time for young Jaboulet and Vielle Julienne

Good morning all,

I will be attending a Rhone tasting in the near future, and aside from a few vintages of Beaucastel and a handful of 80s and earlier LaLas, my experience in the region is quite limited.

My brings for the dinner are 2018 Jaboulet-Aine Hermitage La Chapelle and 2015 Domaine de la Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve- selected because I have several more of each and would like to get a read on them. So substitutions are not an option.

Grateful for decant time advice on these. I can easily decant up to 8 hours ahead if that is warranted. Thank for any thoughts.

god damn. 2018 Hermitage La chapelle? You’re going to make me cry. That’s easily a decade too young IMHO. Even the 2015 only has 7 notes on Cellartracker right now.

I’d advise reconsidering the 18 - the 15 Vieille Julienne is also super young but I’d say with a 4-ish hour slow ox it should make decent progress (shot in the dark guess)

Thank you Henry. The 2018 Jaboulet is a must- I have a few TNs for the wine, but all 1990 or prior. So I really need to peek in on the 2018 as I purchased a case on the strong recommendation of a trusted friend. I can imagine it could be a painful process- but I will mirror decant time for the Vielle Julienne if no other suggestions come.

On the Vielle Julienne- I could do the 2017 instead of the 2015 if you think that would be better. I know from past experience with the big wines of other regions that tasting right at release can be less risky than waiting 2-3 years when many wines shut down after a brief honeymoon period. But not sure if that same rule applies to Rhones.

I’d really stress on not drinking it yet. It’s going to be a great vintage, all the reviews are incredible. I have 12 bottles of 2018, and no plan to touch them in any decade that starts with a 2. No chance of buying a Crozes Hermitage Thalabert and squinting at it and pretending it was the Hermitage La Chapelle I suppose?

Perosnally I’d sooner drink the 2015 Chateauneuf than the 2017.

I bought a case and a half of the 2017 la chapelle and was advised not to open the first bottle for atleast a decade.

I have no experience with the Vieille Julienne Reserve but have been contemplating opening one up so I can decide if I want more of the 2016 or not. I did open a 2016 Trois Sources somewhat recently, it was very tight and not very pleasant to drink upon opening. But I did really enjoy it after giving it about 8hrs of air time in the bottle.