TN: Some Northern Michigan Wine Notes

SOME NORTHERN MICHIGAN WINE NOTES - Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas (4/15/2021-4/20/2021)

My wife and I spent a long weekend in the Traverse City area and had the opportunity to visiit a few local wineries. Here are my notes on the wines we tried.
Sparkling Wines

• NV Left Foot Charley Pinot Blanc Sparkling Island View Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Blanc from the 2019 vintage. 1% RS. This is the first vintage they made this wine. It had tiny bubbles and a lower head. Moderately sweet but not a Demi sec. Tropical notes. 87 poiints (87 pts.)
  • NV Peninsula Cellars Iā€™ll Drink To That - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. This is a blend of 45% Chardonnay, 45% Pinot Blanc and 10% Pinot Noir from the 2019 vintage. Instead of a secondary fermentation, this wine is simply carbonated. Moderate bead. A dry sparkler with notes of melons and apples. 11.7% alcohol. 87-88 points. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 Shady Lane Cellars Riesling Sparkling - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Estate Riesling made from blocks M, N and I. A blend of clones 49, 198 and 239. Made in a Cuveeā€™ Close method. Notes of pears and green apples. Moderate bead. This had a touch of sweetness but still a dry style. 88 points. (88 pts.)
  • NV Good Harbor Vineyards GrĆ¼ner Veltliner Brut - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Gruner Veltlliner from the Norahā€™s Vineyard on the Leelanau Penisula. Made in the Charmet method. 11.2% alcohol. Notes of melon and apples. A little bitterness on the finish. Nice but the least favorite of the 3 sparklers I tried. 86 points. (86 pts.)
  • NV Good Harbor Vineyards Blanc de Noirs - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tatsed at the winery. 100% Pinot Noir from the Benjaminā€™s Vineyard on the Leelanau Peninsula. Made in the Charmet method. 12% alcohol. My favorite of the 3 sparklersā€¦ Round with cherry and floral notes. Dry and crisp finish. 89 points. (89 pts.)
  • NV Good Harbor Vineyards Blanc de Blanc - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Chardonnay from the Davidā€™s Vineyard on the Leelanau Peninsula. Made in the Charmet method. 12% alcohol. Extra Dry style and noticeably sweeter than the other 2 sparklers but still on the dry side. Notes of slate and lemons. Solid bead. 88 points. (88 pts.)
  • NV Chateau Chantal Tonight - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. A blend of Riesling and Chardonnay. Close to a demi sec in style. Notes of white fruit and apples. 82 points. (82 pts.)
  • NV Chateau Chantal Celebrate - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. A blend of Riesling, Chardonnay and Gamay. Drier than the Tonight but not a Brut. Peach notes. 84 points. (84 pts.)

White Wines

• 2018 Left Foot Charley Pinot Blanc Island View Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Blanc harvested on October 6th at 20.3 brix. Purchased at the winery and was able to meet the vineyard owner/manager, Werner Kuehnis. Previously had the 2016 vintage. A dry wine with a pale straw color. Very clean with nice biting acidity. Notes of Bosc pear and stones. 89 points. (89 pts.)
  • 2018 Left Foot Charley Pinot Blanc - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Blanc sourced from 4 vineyards on the OMP. A dry wine. Spicy with notes of anise and green apple.firm acidity. 89 points. (89 pts.)
  • 2018 Peninsula Cellars Dry Riesling - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Moderate acidity. Rather mild and soft for my tastes. Notes of green apples and minerals on the finish. 86 points. (86 pts.)
  • 2018 Left Foot Charley Riesling Seventh Hill Farm - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Purchased at the winery. Iā€™ve previously had the 2008 and 2010 vintages of this wine. This wine is not always made in the same style and the sweetness depends on the growing conditions in the particular vintage. Seventh Hill is at the top of the OMP. Light petrol aromas on the nose. Made in a dry (trocken) style this year. Pale yellow color. Notes of pears and slate. Crisp finish. 91 points. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Good Harbor Vineyards Dry Riesling - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. A funky nose with diesel nuances. White fruit notes but a little flat on the finish. 83 points. (83 pts.)
  • 2018 Peninsula Cellars Semidry Riesling - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. About the sweetness of a Spatlese. Tropical notes but lower on acidity like the dry Riesling. 85 points. (85 pts.)
  • 2018 Chateau Chantal Pinot Gris Proprietorā€™s Reserve - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. No formal notes. 86 points. (86 pts.)
  • 2017 Peninsula Cellars GewĆ¼rztraminer Manigold Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Previously had the 2006 and 2016 vintages of this wine and seek it out when I can. Pale white color. Very aromatic with typical spicy notes together. White fruit and floral nuances on the finish. This was a dry wine (drier than previous vintages) and was probably the best white of the weekend. 91-92 points. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Left Foot Charley GrĆ¼ner Veltliner - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. This was a bonus pour since the staff had an open bottle of this older vintage. 2015 was a cold year which resulted in high acidity and this showed. This is the first and only time LFC made this wine. Notes of lemons, pink grapefruit and limestone. Some saltiness on the finish. 89 points. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Mari Vineyards Pinot Grigio Bestiary Ramato Bella Vista Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/20/2021)
    Tasted at the Cookā€™s House Restauarant. This is the first vintage of this wine. An orange wine in style and color. 85% Pinot Grigio, 8% Malvasia Bianca, 5% Sauvignon Blanc, 2% Tocai Friulano. The Pinot Grigio was given 3.5 weeks of skin contact and the other grapes 2.5 weeks. This had some grip to it. No real oxidative notes which show up in orange wines occasionally. Notes of ripe pears, spices and apricots. 87 points. (87 pts.)

RosƩ Wines

• 2019 Left Foot Charley BlaufrƤnkisch RosĆ© - USA, Michigan (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Very light pink color from only 2 hours of skin contact. Silky texture with some licorice on the nose. Fresh with cherry notes and lower acidity. Soft finish. 86 points. (86 pts.)
  • 2017 Shady Lane Cellars Pinot Noir RosĆ© - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Noir harvested in October. 12 hours of skin contact. 20% aged in used French oak and the rest in stainless steel. I really enjoyed this wine and it is a great deal at $14. Notes of orange blossoms, strawberries, wet stones and a touch of white pepper. Dry with a crisp finish. 89-90 points. (90 pts.)
  • 2019 Good Harbor Vineyards Pinot Noir RosĆ© - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Very floral nose. Medium pink/salmon color. Light body with crisp strawberry notes. 88 points (88 pts.)

Red Wines

• 2019 Left Foot Charley Blaufrankisch - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Garnet color. This had a nice smoky character with coffee and berry notes. Moderate tannins. 88 points. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Peninsula Cellars Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. This wine was the surprise of the tasting. 100% Pinot Noir from the Krupa Vineyard. Rather dark red for only having 12 days on itā€™s skins. Aged 19 months in barrel. Rich and round with a solid tannic structure. Notes of burnt cherries, black pepper and blackberries. 91 points. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Shady Lane Cellars Pinot Noir - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Noir harvested on October 28th. Destemmed and cold soaked for 3 days. Aged 16 months in French Oak (40% new). This had a nice core of fruit which shown through (compared to the Reserve which was more earthy). Notes of ripe red berries and smoke. 90 points. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Shady Lane Cellars Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. This was given 20 months of aging in French oak. More earthy than the regular Pinot Noir. Reddish purple color. Solid tannins. Notes of leather and plums. 90 points. (90 pts.)
  • 2018 Chateau Chantal Pinot Noir Proprietorā€™s Reserve - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Medium red color. Flowery aroma. Solid core of fruit with cola, oak and cherry notes. 86 points. (86 pts.)
  • 2017 Brys Estate Pinot Noir - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/20/2021)
    Tasted at the Cookā€™s House Restaurant. 100% Pinot Noir from the Old Mission Peninsula. This was a smooth and elegant Pinot Noir. Supple tannins. Notes of cranberry and cherries with some tea leaf on the finish. 90 points. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Peninsula Cellars Merlot Reserve - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Another surprisingly good red. Garnet color. A creamy wine with silky tannins. Notes of dark chocolate, plums and toffee. Long finish. 91 points. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Peninsula Cellars Cabernet Franc Merlot Reserve - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. This was a nice wine but a little disappointing after tasting the Pinot Noir and Merlot. Some green notes mixed in with the red fruit. Soft tannins. 87 points. (87 pts.)
  • 2018 Shady Lane Franc ā€˜nā€™ Franc - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (4/20/2021)
    Tasted at the Cookā€™s House Restaurant and paired with braised beef cheeks. A blend of Cabernet Franc, BlaufrƤnkisch and Merlot. Crimson color. Round texture with leather, coffee and ripe plum notes. Moderate tannins. 88 points. (88 pts.)

Dessert and Cider

• NV Chateau Chantal Cherry Cerise - USA, Michigan, Old Mission Peninsula (4/19/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. Made from cherries. 19% alcohol with obvious cherry notes. Somewhat cloying. 84 points. (84 pts.)
  • NV Chateau Chantal entice - USA, Michigan (4/19/2021)
    A Riesling ice wine (from the Old Mission Peninsula) fortified with brandy. Rich and luscious without being cloying. Notes of pineapple and brandy soaked pears. 89-90 points. (90 pts.)
  • NV Left Foot Charley Otterson - USA, Michigan (4/16/2021)
    Tasted at the winery. A deep pinkish red color. Otterson is the only apple with red flesh hence the color. This was a dry and tart cider with steely bing cherry notes. Excellent cider. 92 points. (92 pts.)

VM

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes! - Love, love, love the Left Foot Charley Wines -

We finally went last Fall. Had a blast, and became a believer. Trying to plan another Fall trip this year. Thanks for posting.

The one winery I really wanted to visit was Nathaniel Rose. I emailed and called well in advance but could not get through to them. We stopped in hoping someone might be there but the winery was closed.

VM

1 Like

Thatā€™s a lot of wines! Nice, concise, to-the-point, tasting comments. I have to try a Michigan wine (although it feels like an oxymoron putting those two words together). [cheers.gif]

You shouldnā€™t feel that way, Jim. Itā€™s one of the great fruit growing regions of the world.

1 Like

Thanks. Heading up in about a month. As of now, planning a visit to:
L. Mawby
Mari
Shady Lane
2 Lads
Scott Harvey Wines
Brys

Should I knock one of these off in favor of Left FooT C?

Not Mawby or 2 Lads.

Hey Josh, I am sitting here in Fort Myers FL after three days of off-and-on downpours, finishing up our last ā€œwinterā€ week before heading back to MA. I had been thinking about trying to plan a short domestic trip in early June and because of this thread the wine region around Traverse City MI has joined the list of possibilities. Iā€™d be very interested in seeing your plans as they evolve. Maybe I can piggy back some of your ideas? Hope things work out for you. Cheers. -Jim

1 Like

Will do. Iā€™m working off some others but this is my very tentative ideas:

Wineries:
L. Mawby
Mari
Shady Lane
2 Lads
Scott Harvey Wines
Brys
Black Star Farms

Beer:
Jolly Pumpkin
Stormcloud in Frankfort

Restaurants:
Cooks House
The Town Plaza for Breakfast/Brunch
Jolly Pumpkin for lunch
Black Star Farms Inn

From other threads:
ā€œā€¦Best restaurants in the area are Blu, Funistrada, la Bicasse. New place in tc that is very good is Allianceā€¦ā€

&

"Things have changed since I was there last August. I inquired from good friends who live near TC and here is their reply. Hope this helps:

http://www.missiontable.net

And a few in Traverse City:

http://www.eatatginger.com

More restaurants keep popping up. Weā€™ve had an influx of people moving to northern Michigan in the past year. Two guys just opened Vita Bella @ https://www.vitabellakitchen.com/. Nice wine selection l, wood fired pizza and Italian food. The owners of Lynn & Perin expanded next door on Main Street with an impressive selection of wine.ā€

1 Like

Hello All,

Iā€™m a TC native who now lives in Boston but go back regularly. The best wineries have largely been covered as have many of the good restaurants but Iā€™ll add a few.

Sorellina/Slate - (My brother is involved in the business so Iā€™m bias) but they have a great location, one has excellent italian food and the other is a what iā€™d call an innovative steak house. Beautiful new building right downtown across from the State Movie Theater.

Rarebird - this is a great place for beer. Awesome selection of both their own brews as well as other breweries. Food is pretty solid to boot. 7 Monks is similar with an excellent selection of beer and solid food. Both are in town.

The Boat House is a really pretty drive out on Old Mission Peninsula. I have only been for drinks recently but itā€™s a beautiful setting right on the water. The food has historically been good.

Alliance has closed.

Breakfast spots include Red Spire, The Omelette Shope,

I like the wines at Left Foot Charlies quite a bit and you can head over to Stella or Pepe Nero for dinner after. Both are very good and have some of the best wine lists in the area.

Not wine centric but Mama LUs is a small taco place downtown that has good food and margs and has limited outdoor seating. If you feel like a picnic lunch get their to-go taco box and head down to the beach.

The only other winery Iā€™d add is Big Little which is in the same tasting complex as Mawby. They are making some very good sparklers and white wines including a single vineyard sav blanc from the Anton Vineyard (my former hockey coach and good family friend).

There are a couple good wine shops which include Fogarelliā€™s which is an awesome old school Italian market with everything you could want including a good wine selection and the best sandwiches, Burritts Market, and Bon Vin (run buy a guy Rick who used to be involved at a very popular place down in Ann Arbor called the Villiage Corner Wine Shop).

If you are looking for an excellent butcher shop go to Maxbauers. It has been totally remodeled since a fire a few years back and it is fantastic. Some incredicle homemade jerky, prime meat, and a good selection of beer and wine.

Looking forward to hearing about peopleā€™s trips. We are headed back in July and will certainly be visiting some of the things listed.

Seth

4 Likes

Also, check out this thread

We stopped into Folgarelliā€™s (mentioned above) to get lunch supplies and they did have a nice selection of wines. I would add Brasserie Amie to the list of restaurants for breakfast or lunch (the Croque Madame was very good). If you are going to the Cooks House, make a reservation well in advance. They only have 5 tables now because of distancing. We are also fans of Marthaā€™s Leelanau Table in Suttons Bay for dinner.

Left Foot Charley is an urban winery in Traverse and so it would be easy to do as a happy hour before your dinner reservation since they are open until 7pm. I would suggest going on a Thursday late afternoon since all of the growers who supply the grapes to LFC have a weekly tasting then and you can discuss the wines with them. Also, no need to do a tasting but do stop into Peninsula Cellars on the OMP to buy a bottle of their Gewurztraminer Manigold Vineyard (excellent year in and out and one of the best domestic Gewurz made).

As I mentioned above, Nathaniel Rose is doing some very unique things up there but getting in touch may be a problem. http://www.nathanielrosewine.com/
Here is an article about him: The Ancient Wine Wizardry of Nathaniel Rose's Reds | Features | Northern Express

VM

2 Likes

My in laws live in Traverse City, and itā€™s a great food/beer town, especially for the size.

I was going to list my suggestions, but then I read Sethā€™s post and he really nailed it. Iā€™ll just add a few notes:
-For good food in town, we always go to dinner at Trattoria Stella (great food and good wine list) and brunch at the Towne Plaza. Cookā€™s House is also stellar though small, so you have to reserve ahead.
-Favorite breweries are Rare Bird and The Filling Station (a bit away from downtown but had good beer and interesting pizza).
-Another fun place for a casual bite and drink is Little Fleet, a place with a semi-open air bar and some food trucks.
-If youā€™re spending a week and have a kitchen, I wholeheartedly second the Maxbauerā€™s recommendations. Great butcher shop with excellent meats, sausages, etc.
-Wine picks- Left Foot Charley is good. For sparkling, Mawby is by far the best in the area.

The folks who made best Blaufrankish from the area, and one of the best Iā€™ve had from any area, have unfortunately closed down. We were there a few months ago and were told that their vineyard is now owned by someone else.

What was more distressing however, was the fact that the cherry business is closing down. Traverse City used to be the sour cherry capital of the world but there are acres and acres of trees that have been ripped out.

That said, we enjoyed some really good wines. And some excellent smoked fish.

We were completely disappointed with the dining options, so Iā€™m definitely keeping this thread in mind for the next visit. The wife is convinced itā€™s one of the best places to buy property, so weā€™re going to be back for sure.

Are they being ripped in favor of grapes/wineries?

Not generally. I have a good friend whose family was in the cherry business up there (among others). Tough business, but the Montmorency Cherries are outstanding and are my wifeā€™s favorite fruit.

1 Like

Real estate in TC has slowly crept up, especially now that many people can work from anywhere. More and more million dollar plus condos are being built downtown. Itā€™s a great 4 season destination, especially for people who love being outdoors.

I canā€™t believe I forgot to add Little Fleet to the list. We have little kids so sitting outside in a casual environment is great for us. Plenty of food options and an excellent variety of drinks.

If there are any cigar lovers, thereā€™s a place called Nolanā€™s Tobacco, which we affectionally call adult day care for my dad. They have a full bar and outdoor seating.

For the cherry lovers, there are some nice fruit stands and pick your own if you drive up the peninsula. We usually take the kids all the way out near the lighthouse and pick red and golden raspberries and cherries. The sweet cherries usually are ready in mid July. Donā€™t sleep on the golden Queen Anne cherries as they as a treat.

Lastly, check out American Spoon Fruit which has an unreal selection of jams, sauces, mustards, and other treats. They put together really nice gift baskets as well.

Sorry, I realize iā€™ve crossed into the travel forum and got away from the tasting notes.

Seth

1 Like

From MI originally. Iā€™d be happy to live near there from mid-Spring, Summer, until mid-Fall, and then strategically during the remainder. I recall telling my wife a decade ago that itā€™s too bad there arenā€™t any really cool software companies HQā€™d up there that Iā€™d be willing to work for.

Iā€™m sure this has been said elsewhere, but Wyncroft (based a bit further south along the MI coast) also produces excellent wines (arguably the best Iā€™ve had from MI): https://www.wyncroftwine.com/

No. The competition is Turkey. We have a military base there and we want to keep it and they have cherries to sell and most of the sour cherries are now coming from Turkey, not Traverse City. Itā€™s a little like garlic in Gilroy, CA, which bills itself as the world garlic capital. They have a garlic festival every year, but most of the garlic is brought in from China. Same with the cherries.

And second on the Wyncroft! I believe it may have been you who introduced me a long time ago! Picked some up last summer when I was up.

1 Like