TN: 2015 Terroir Al Limit Priorat Torroja

A Spanish wine with a French slant to its name! This is the Village blend of Grenache and Carignan. They do produce single vineyard wines in vin de garde territory, $500 in our market. But really this is exceptional and well priced for what it is.

Dark brambly fruits, with loads of graphite and earth. Despite the power and darkness of the old vine fruit, it displays a certain elegance and refinement and real complexity. A very nice surprise on a cold Tuesday night.

Thanks for the intriguing note, Kent. Perhaps the influence of the past involvement of Eben Sadie was still evident, and triggered some Southern Hemisphere resonance for you, I wonder.

Jonathan

Perhaps, I was unaware of the Southern Hemisphere influence but the wine does tick the boxes for me.

sounds great. I forget that it’s getting on to winter for you, as summer approaches here.

Yes, we have had an unseasonably cool and wet summer, followed by a dry and sunny autumn - perfect conditions for a very high quality vintage in South Australia. But yesterday an inch of rain and a chilly blast off the Antarctic (reached only 60F here) to remind us that its time to pull out the overcoats.

“Elegance and refinement” are words I use for this wine, too. At. 13.5% it’s also low ABV for Priorat.

I had their 2015 Albossar bottling recently and that was exceptionally good as well. From what I remember from the importer telling me is that they use 90 year old Carinena wines that grow on slate. They put whole bunches in the barrel and then wait for the ambient yeast to work its magic. The result is very pure and vibrant fruit (brambles indeed!) with a velvety texture. We really enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best reds we had in a year that was characterised by drinking a lot of good stuff to drown the Covid sorrows :wink:

Thanks Arjan. That Albossar sounds great and pricing is not as crazy as the other Crus. From what I have read no oak maturation, just ageing in cement. You have piqued my interest.

ive seen several good notes on TaL wines lately, and its surprised me because I was underwhelmed by the wine from them I tried. granted, it was a less expensive option, but it definitely didnt convince me to spend $500 on the upper wines.

Interesting Matt. When I first received this wine I thought it a bit linear and borderline firm. However three years later it has really blossomed into something really good.