TN: 2017 Saxum Syrah Booker Vineyard

• 2017 Saxum Syrah Booker Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Willow Creek District (4/21/2021)
    15.8% abv. 76% Syrah, 24% Mataro. Deep ruby, very aromatic. On the palate, boysenberry, cherry compote, leather, olive, cooked meat and mint. Extreme depth, length and concentration. Dazzling, extravagant and flamboyant, this is terrific in its youth and will only gain complexity over the next 4-10 years. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Are all 17s this approachable? Normally, I wouldn’t touch Booker for 7-8 years, but your note makes me want to open one now.

Yes, my question as well–can these be given a go now?

I think most Saxums have a relatively long aging window and 17s in general may be somewhat precocious. I can’t speak for all of Justin’s 17s, but Booker was ready!

The 17 G2 and JBV I’ve had were both killer with just a short decant.

Interesting. I have no notes on Saxums younger than 2014, although I know I have had a few. I will have to open one and remind myself how good they are.

I was a list member many moons ago. Just curious what the current prices are.

98 for most and 148 for the “extended barrel age” bottles of Bone Rock, Rocket Block and The Hexe.

I think 2017 is a more approachable vintage in Paso in general, although, I haven’t had any '17 Saxum.

Thanks. A wee bit more than I was paying.

As a note - the cost of shipping is included in the price. The shipping containers used are high quality pulp. The wine is tagged with a WarmMark Time-Temperature tag to identify if your wine had exposure above 30C/86F. They also state they ship in temperature controlled trucks. For me, all that helps me justify the price of $98/btl and $196/magnum. Oh, and I love the wines. That too.

Justin’s Note on the 2017 Booker:

“The 2017 Booker Vineyard is a departure from the other 2017 wines in this line up. It is on the masculine side of the spectrum, with dark fruits, charred meats and some bay and sage hiding in the background. However, on the palate you can tell it’s a 2017 wine because of the sweet, polished tannins and pure fruit core. The flavors in the mouth sneak up on you and then, when you least expect it, they clobber you in the long finish. We aged this wine in 30% concrete amphora, and a majority of the rest in new French oak. Out of our 2017 wines, this is the one to lay down for a long slumber. I’d give it at least 3 years if you can keep your hands off it.”

2017 to 2021 - heh, that is at least 3 years.

The Booker Vineyard wines are ones I tend to hold longer. Broken Stones, Terry Hoage, and Paderewski are the wines I often open earlier than others.

They are (or at least they were - haven’t drank one in a while) delicious, high quality wines. No need to justify the price on these, I was just curious.

Trying hard to keep my hands off my Saxum bottles. I went and got one with a little age on it so I know what I have been buying.

1 Like

I’ve been buying these for a long time. Saxum’s is a big, luxuriant style that I find attractive in its youth (4-5 years) and into middle age (10-12 years). I’m currently holding bottles as old as 07s, which I anticipate will be outstanding. They do tend to evolve nicely, gaining secondary complexity - not sure I ever tasted one I thought was over the hill.

1 Like