A spectacular evening- Part 3: 04` Leroy Vosne-Romanee and 02` Meo Camuzet Richebourg

Our dinner group recently celebrated our 22nd annual Millennium dinner typically held in December of each year, but postponed last year due to COVID restrictions. This event compliments each year`s worth of weekly dinners by bringing top tier wines across the board and as has always been the case, we had many spectacular wines.

Our usual venue has been the private and wine themed Cork Room at one of our favorite local restaurants, bouchon; however, on this occasion, we sat outside up on an upper deck over looking the back secluded courtyard. The restaurant not only graced us with this regal like private deck, but assigned a dedicated server and their top somm to serve us and prepared a special prefix menu to pair with the wines. See photo.

I`m posting the notes for each flight separately and in this case-

We started off with 4 champagnes: {Part 1}

1996 KRUG BRUT
1998 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC
2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC
2000 DOM PERIGNON P2 PLENITUDE BRUT

Next up. 2 whites before moving into the reds: {Part 2}

2004 FE TRIMBACH CLOS STE HUNE RIESLING ALSACE
2008 PIERRE-YVES-COLIN-MOREY CORTON CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU

Now 3 flights of reds: {1st flight Part 3, 2nd Part 4 and 3rd Part 5}

2004 DOMAINE LEROY VOSNE-ROMANEE- this is not your everyday Vosne Village wine as it comes from 5 different terriors of the Vosne vineyards, Romanee Saint Vivant, Richebourg, Les Beaux Monts, Aux Brulees and Genevrieres and caries a very hefty price tag; the cheapest I could find was for over $2,500 and this is for a wine that was declassified; with great expectations, I dove in and discovered a whole lot of totally unexpected nuances; the most prevalent of those was the peppery notes that prevailed all the way through; perhaps a vintage thing, I don’t know, but it was sure there and totally acceptable albeit as I said, unexpected; the fruit profile consisted of wild red raspberry, strawberry and red cherry delivered in a silky, smooth medium all the way to thew back end where it all seemed to come together and hand out for a grand finish.

2BBE5707-BF91-4352-8521-AC36FC07FF0D_4_5005_c.jpeg
2002 DOMAINE MEO-CAMUZET RICHEBOURG GRAND CRU- this is only my 2nd bottle of this highly acclaimed gem and it was very different especially in that it had more Brettanomyces than I prefer, which is close to none; this was the 4-ethylphenol type that gives off the bandaid, barnyard character; add in some earthy dried red currant and wild red berries and it moved even further away from the tamer, fresh and ripe red and black cherry fruit with nice spicy accents of the last bottle; it was medium to full bodied and finished with a tad of astringency; I went back to the Leroy to clean my palate.

B563590D-B630-41E5-B9E2-B4099A0F4BB6_4_5005_c.jpeg
2008 GAJA CONTEISA LANGHE
1995 CHATEAU LA MISSION HAUT-BRION PESSAC-LEOGNAN
1998 HAUT-BRION PESSAC-LEOGNAN
1966 HAUT-BRION PESSAC-LEOGNAN #1
1966 HAUT-BRION PESSAC-LEOGNAN #2

2005 CHATEAU L`EVANGILE POMEROL
2006 VEGA SICILIA UNICO RIBERO DEL DUERO

Our fabulous evening culminated with 3 stellar dessert wines: {Part 6}

1989 CHATEAU d`YQUEM SAUTERNES
1998 ALOIS KRACHER WELCHRIESLING TROCHENBEERENAUSLESE NUMBER 11
1993 CHATEAU PAJCOS TOKAJI ESSENTIA

What a great night!. Everyone stepped up and then took another step to bring great stuff. The smiles around the table confirmed how much we all delighted in sampling one treasure after another and the last conversation was about our next Millennium dinner scheduled for December this year. Meanwhile, we continue to do our weekly thing and drink great wines, eat great cuisine and share great fellowship.

Cheers,
Blake

1 Like