Three European whites

2017 Chateau Ferran Pessac-Leognan -
Restrained aromas of hay and bosc pear, with a tiny citrus touch. The palate is light to medium in body, clean and pleasant. It is nicely precise but lacks intensity. While I look to Pessac-Leognan for ageworthy whites, I think this might have been better on release. Rated 86.5.

2018 Domaine Wachau Gruner Veltliner Federspiel Terrassen -
Good intense aromas of firm nectarine and slate. The palate is surprisingly rich with good balancing acidity. There are grassy, leafy and slightly salty notes. The finish is long and subtle. This is apparently (despite the name ‘Terrassen’) an entry level bottling and offers incredible quality. In the list of Cooperatives that make great wine, Domaine Wachau figures near the top. Rated 91.5, drink or hold a year or two.

2019 Elena Walch Pinot Blanc -
Slightly faint but lovely floral aromas also offer some herbal and citric notes. The palate is light to medium in body, with lovely balance, tender and fresh but with just enough acidity. This does not have great intensity or persistence, but more than compensates with beautiful balance. Rated 88, I don’t think this will improve but will monitor through the year.

Dan Kravitz