TN: 2014/2015 Domaine de la Terre Rouge Tête-à-Tête

• 2014 Domaine de la Terre Rouge Tête-à-Tête - USA, California, Sierra Foothills (4/24/2021)
    Long time fan of Terre Rouge…my go to foothills Rhone fix! Pumped to see this show up at the local grocer, and on sale for $16! 43% Grenache, 43% Mourvedre, 14% Syrah…LOT of bottle caked on sediment…more Grenache dominant red fruited cherry and raspberry…really spicy and high toned brightness…is the dirt volcanic?..as it reminds me so…LOTS of crushed volcanic rock with crazy saline minerality and earth tones. Balanced well with some creamy and meaty Rhone goodness…smoky and spicy…again LOVE the red Kirsch-like brightness in this ala Chave…engaging briar patch rusticity…SO much complexity and attention grabbing for a wine at this price! In love here! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

2015 Domaine de la Terre Rouge Tête-à-Tête - USA, California, Sierra Foothills (12/22/2023)
I’m getting this locally for $13…stupid good! 39% Grenache, 39% Mourvèdre, 22% Syrah…this wine is all about the red fruited pretties, that took off running through the briar patch! Silky smooth and bright raspberry, cherry, boysenberry fruits…not as high toned and spicy with volcanic dirt as the 14 was…creamy and more subdued…subtle pepper spice, smoked meat, leather, garrigue…that wonderful crushed volcanic rock and saline minerality…red licorice dryness…really creamy and in CdR mode…easy drinkin and totally crushable! And LOVE that this is a current release from the winery! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I used to sell the brand. Got to work a day with Bill in the trade. Good stuff going on there.

I have to pick up some of this. Loved their syrah blend recently. It’s strange how long they keep wines in bottle before releasing them, though.

1 Like

We tasted there in early fall. Really loved all the Rhones they were pouring. We were told Bill wants his wines rady to drink on release, hence the holdback until he thinks they are at their best.

Great notes, and totally agree. The QPR is redlining on this one at the grocery discount. May have to needlessly buy more wine based on your recommendation. :laughing:

Great winemaker who’s been making killer wines for decades - and yep, QPRs are great. And you can get beautifully aged stuff for great prices too . . .

Terre Rouge was my “go to” California “Rhone Ranger” for a number of years. Incredible value in a bottle. While I liked the various Syrah bottlings, the Tête-à-Tête and the L’Autre were my favs. Haven’t purchased in a while - should probably do something about that! Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Great notes and even better price!! Where are you getting them?

Local Raley’s grocery store.

2 Likes

Closeout price plus 30% off six or is this just the regular price plus qty discount?

Great price

Shhhhh…:laughing:

I guess sometimes grocery store wine is good!!

Reg price with 6 bottle discount. This is the first time I’ve even seen it here.

1 Like

Their Viognier is great for the price too.

Thanks @B_Buzzini!

Slightly related, but my local stores appear to be blowing out half bottles of taittinger La Francaise at $12.25 when you buy 6 or more

1 Like

Those Tat’s didn’t discount for me…half bottles can be iffy. All those Terre Rouges are gone in my 3-4 usual locations unfortunately.