TN on an everyday wine: 2017 Jeannine Boutin Crozes-Hermitage Les Hauts Granites 2017

Clearly very young, juicy, not too extracted, with an overt fruitiness that reminds me of New World. To me, it seems like it could have been made from grapes grown in California. Nonetheless, it’s varietally correct with the expected plums, blueberries, violets, and with deeper earthiness and dark chocolate very much in the background. Not surprising given that it is only 5 yrs old. None of the smoked meat or black olive you find in higher-end Hermitage or Cote Rotie. Oak is minimal. For a wine so youthful, there is a surprising amount of sediment. I did not pour particularly carefully given how young this wine is and the last glass was pretty muddy. Interestingly, these bottles are all numbered; I have 9007/9200. Could it be full of sediment bc I have a bottle from the very bottom of the barrel? Who knows- either way, pour carefully! At the end of the day, this wine gets the job done, and at $28, it’s a good-not-great value.