TN: 2019 Enfield Wine Co. Chenin Blanc Jurassic Park

• 2019 Enfield Wine Co. Chenin Blanc Jurassic Park - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/3/2021)
    Holy moly. As if a Viognier and a Chablis had a love-child. Floral, but never in that annoying spray-the-room-with-Glade-way that Viognier tends to do (or rather, should that be like my wife’s headache-inducing scented candles?). No, none of that - this is perfectly round, light and ethereal and impeccably balanced. None of those annoying bitter or oxidative notes - just pure clean grace. Easily one of the best whites I’ve had from California. Well done. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Whoa! I have one queued up so should crack into it.
Any recommendation on serving temp? I’ve moved towards serving Chenins straight out of the cellar at cellar temp.
I’d also love to hear thoughts from those w more experience than I about length of drinking window for this Chenin.

Not sure what’s best for it, I served it after about 40min in fridge and thought it was very nice there. As it warmed up it released a little bit more body, but it stayed pretty consistent throughout. Delicious.

1 Like

Sounds interesting and fascinating. My only ‘concern’ is the description of it being ‘round’ - and the ‘concern’ that this would be a wine to consume sooner rather than later. Would you find that to be the case?

Where did you source from? Would love to get my hands on one. And when are you rolling through my area, Adam? Would love to share and trade some wines with you.

Cheers!

Larry – What is the concern with drinking wines that are meant to be consumed young, if that’s when they show best? Just curious.

Adam – I’ve got a few bottles of this so am stoked to see your note. I love the mouthfeel and texture of quality Chenin Blanc.

We opened one the other night, it was fantastic.
C985DF98-5930-42C9-AD35-125A47E8F955.jpeg

No concern whatsoever - is the wine meant to be consumed early? I know that chenins can age wonderfully - and I also know that many chenins tend to have noticeable acidity.

Cheers

Larry, can’t speak for others but Enfield’s spring release shipped last week and that’s where I got mine (and I suspect others). I think they still have some of the wines available.

i drank one of these and would not be concerned at all about holding for a couple years.

Thanks for the insights everyone. My Enfield spring release wines were delivered last week also.
I don’t have a ton of experience with Chenins, but I’ve purchased bottles of 4-5 different ones to drink through this summer to see if they should get a larger share of the white rotation. I tried a 2018 Beau Rivage last week that had been in the fridge for 6 hours and felt it was very light and flat at first. It wasn’t until it got closer to room temp or had been open 45mins (maybe it was both?) that I started enjoy it more.

I’m really excited to get into the Jurassic Park!

I’m not the best at judging aging-potential as I like freshness, nerve and vibrance. This, however, has no unpolished edges that need time to round off, so although it might add something with age, I don’t see a need to wait on drinking it at all. It is perfect right now.

Larry - not sure next time I’m up, but I’ll make sure to swing by when I go!

What is the Jurassic Park vineyard BTW? Anyone know anything about it?

I’m popping this in the fridge for tonight. Leo Steen produce a Chenin from the Jurassic Park vineyard too and it’s always been excellent for me. Looks like I also have one in the cellar from Kunin.

Adam, my favorite domestic Chenin Blanc producer, Leo Steen makes his flagship Chenin from the Jurassic Vineyard. He also makes two other Chenin, one is Peaberry in Mendocino and Saini in Dry Creek Valley. Here is some info on Jurassic and his other vineyard sites. If you haven’t tried Leo’s Chenin I suggest give them a try. All are distinct, delicious and show the difference in site.

https://www.leosteenwines.com/the-vineyards

Just drop me a line Adam - you know how to get a hold of me. And I am in the LA area every now and then - perhaps we can meet somewhere.

The Jurassic Park Vineyard is part of the original Firestone Vineyard in Los Olivos. It sits behind and below the current Firestone tasting room and production facility, and you literally need to go past oil pumping rigs and other maintenance shacks to get to the blocks. It is purchased by numerous folks, including Kunin, Municipal I believe, Andrew Murray Vineyards, Andrew Jones and at least a few others.

Cheers

Hi All.

Larry, I would describe it as a medium+ acid wine, but spent 11 months on its own lees in 500L Puncheons with no S02 to add some texture. I think it will age relatively well, say 5-8 years, probably adding complexity the first 3-5, and then a gentle backslope. It’s the lowest SO2 wine I have bottled, and I have left a bottle open on for several weeks at the winery. It never really goes south, it just kinda gently starts to fade - so I imagine it will age like that.

I love the purity of it right now. It’s a hard one to keep the hands off at home right now.

Adam, Jurassic Park is right next to the old Andrew Murray winery site in Santa Ynez (you can google the winery). This fruit came from the X2 block which I was told was Seth Kunin’s old block. Own-rooted and planted in 1978 on sandy limestone soils.

1 Like

Birichino makes one from Jurassic Park as well.

Also I recommend serving it at cellar temp.

All of my whites actually - unless it’s a hot day and you’re concerned about it warming up in your glass.

1 Like

John,

Thanks for the info - greatly appreciated. I went on the website but did not see it listed - where can I pick up a few?

Cheers

It is up on the website. From the home page click on the “Buy Wine” Tab, not the “Wines” tab. I need to make that more clear.

If that doesn’t work email me john@enfieldwine.com

Loved this Chenin the other night, and finishing a Citrine tonight! It’s a true pleasure to have these wines immediately at hand, just delish and always a hit. Hugs to you buddies.

1 Like