Those times when wine critic notes DO align...

I’m not sure this warrants much of a discussion as much as I just found it interesting. In an offer today from Full Pull Wines for the 2016 Baer Winery Ursa (a great wine, BTW), the offering cites a review from Tim Fish at Wine Spectator:

“Precise and polished, with tiers of red currant, mint and cedar flavors that build richness and structure toward refined tannins. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. Drink now through 2029. 591 cases made. 93 points” Tim Fish, Wine Spectator, 9/30/20

I decided to then look up any other reference points on CT. What struck me is the other two professional reviews on the same wine:

“Similarly styled, the 2016 Ursa has plenty of redcurrants, cedary herbs, and earthy notes as well as a medium-bodied, light, elegant texture on the palate. It has good complexity and elegance as well as notable balance and should evolve for a decade. (Drink between 2020-2030). 89 points.” Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.com, 4/15/20

“Bright ruby-red. Aromas of redcurrant, licorice, mocha, chocolate and tobacco leaf. Pliant and generous in the mouth but in a fresh style, offering nicely delineated flavors of redcurrant, brown spices and tobacco leaf complicated by a chocolatey Merlot character and lifted by a violet note. This wine could still use time in bottle to expand but even today its tannins are nicely buffered. (14.8% alcohol: 42% new oak) (Drink between 2021-2028). 91 points.” Stephen Tanzer, Vinous Media, 12/1/19

All three called out red currant right out of the gate. Pretty cool! Also, two cite cedar notes. Anyway…kind of neat. Carry on…

1 Like