TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Elevacion

Paul and Jackie Gordon of Halcon brought this to lunch, where we sampled it and their other wines. I wrote this note two days later, after the wine had been stoppered in the fridge. Don’t think it had changed much in the intervening time, if anything got better.

2019 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Elevacion - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (5/4/2021)
From a bottle opened 3 days ago, kept mostly in the fridge. Dark garnet, near opaque, this has the deep violet spice on the nose I look for in great syrah, some garrigue, dried herbs, really beautiful; deep blackberry fruit, touches of boysenberry and a violet flourish, quite structured, the tannins are strong with this one on May the 4th, more underbrush inspired spice notes, excellent acidity. This has qualities of both Gonon and Allemand, and needs some years in the bottle. Put it away for a decade, and expect something very special on the other side. (93 pts.)

FYI, there a small amount of Halcon’s Marsanne/Roussanne blend available, I think production was too small to even advertise, but it’s a really nice wine at a great price.

4 Likes

Alan

Thanks for the note. Actually I opened that bottle on Saturday, so open 4 days.
To my palate the 2019 Elevacion is likely the best wine we have produced.

Paul

Paul, how would you compare it to Alturas?

Wow this sounds cool!

Yay, glad to have a few! Paul, any suggestions on when they’ll start drinking well without a 4 day pre-open? [cheers.gif]

Woo hoo! BerserkerDay purchase for the win! [cheers.gif]

Figures (says buyer of 2019 Alturas and Mourvedre). :wink:

Elevacion is always a little tighter and more structured than the Alturas but more savory. The 100% whole-cluster gives some much energy to the wine.

Paul

Vince

Wait another 2 years.
For current consumption (tastings) I do an aggressive double decant the night before. It shows reasonably well if you have a tolerance for a little (fine grain) tannin.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Will there be more opportunity to buy some Elevacion in the future?

“the tannins are strong with this one on May the 4th” - Well played!

1 Like

Yes will be in the fall release.

Paul

2 Likes

So I had to open the 2019 Alturas. Glad I did.

I had the 2018 Elevacion on Saturday and was very impressed. The black pepper and savoriness would have led me to a top St.-Joseph if tasted blind.

1 Like

Thanks for the note! Sitting on several of these in the cellar and I think I’ll leave them there for another two-three years.