Frederick Esmonin Gevrey Chambertin Lieux Dits

Was very pleasantly surprised by a 2019 Frederick Esmonin Gevrey Chambertin Clos Prieur - a nice burg for $30ish /didn’t think it was possible anymore. More than just “nice”

Also enjoyed his 2014 Gevrey Chambertin Vielle Vignes les Jousises in 375s, at a very reasonable price.

Any other fans?

1 Like

Also a fan of the Clos Prieur. The 2020’s should be out soon; they don’t waste any time getting these out the door. Hopefully the price doesn’t jump too much.

Here’s a link to some notes on the 2018’s:

1 Like

I like these wines, particularly in ripe vintages. These guys are the posterchild for “if this Domaine was in better hands”.

I have had excellent success with the Chambertin, Beze and Ruchottes as well.

Ah, you mean you’d rather pay 5x what Frederic asks :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but just saying :slight_smile:

The Art of Wars : if you keep on spread the message long enough and repeat it often enough behind the enemy’s line, it would become a false fact to the emperor’s ears - Article 17 - part V.

There’s also a note in that thread for the 2019, which I liked even better. I’m glad I picked up a couple of cases of both vintages at $25.

I’m also a big fan of Esmonin’s GCs. Just had the 2017 CC last month and it’s no poser - a solid GC-level wine at $150. Don’t find many of those anymore these days.

1 Like

I’ve liked the Jouises more than the Clos Prieur, but I haven’t always seen them in the same vintages.

I also like the CdNV Belle Vue, thought sometimes there’s not that much up charge to the Gevreys.

My higher end Esmonin experience has been Sylvie’s Clos St.Jacques but it’s been a while (01 or 02). That was exceptional.

But these Lieux Dits are at Bojo prices!

Thanks guys, picked up 3 to try. Actually, the Beaujolais I like to drink (Foillard Py, Bouland Delys) runs a lot more than this now.

1 Like

Opened a 15 Les Jouises tonight. Great value and very enjoyable right now.

My source sold out a few hours after I posted😀

The 2020 Clos Prieur just showed up at Saratoga today, but the price has increased to $28.

1 Like

Thanks! Sad, but not unexpected. All the Esmonins have been going up in price the past 2 years. I still picked up 5 cases.

I wish other burgundy producers (importers, retailers, etc) increased prices by $3/yr. On a side note, Envoyer just offered the 2019 today at $39.

I got a case of the 2020 for 27.38 a pop, nice

1 Like

Did your order get canceled also? Just heard from Saratoga and they said they can’t get any of the wine from their distributor and they canceled my 5 case order.

Nope; just says on hold until my delivery date.

It seems they filled the smaller orders with the bottles they were able to get and hung me out to dry.