TN: Shiba Wichern 2018 Auxerrois Havlin

For Cinco de Mayo last night I made soft shell fish tacos with summer flounder and apple-fennel slaw. To pair with this dinner I chose to pull out a Berserker Day Shiba Wichern 2018 Auxerrois Havlin Vineyard. Previously I reviewed the Shiba Wichern 2018 Willamette White which had 83% auxerrois. At the outset I found these two wines from Shiba Wichern to be very different on the nose and flavor profile. The 2018 Auxerrois Havlin was opened soon after pulling out from the refrigerator. When poured into the glass the wine shows a nice very slight yellow tinge. On the nose this wine had a slight reductive note initially which blew off and gave a nice hint of pineapple. On tasting this wine I came away with lemon and possibly other citrus flavors. The wine is balanced with a touch of acidity which turned out to be perfect with the fish. This is a very nice clean well made wine with a more linear flavor profile than I tasted with the Willamette Blanc. I have a few more of the 2018 Auxerrois Havlin in the wine cabinet so it will be interesting to see if the flavor develops more nuances and complexity as it ages. Very well done again Akiko & Chris !

2 Likes

Just opened the 2020 Auxerrois for guests tonight. Liquid precision.

2 Likes

Just opened the 2019 to go with pork chops with paprika and sumac, and snow peas with cumin, caramelized onions, and lemon juice. The wine has the zing to stand up to both the lemon and the sumac. Perfect for a warm spring day with the lingering red of twilight.

1 Like