TN: 2019 Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs

Having had only the 2015 Frühlingsplätzchen before, which was tasted during the inevitable muted phase of riesling, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect from this.

Slightly chilled at cellar temperature, upon opening and swirling a little in the glass, there is perfectly ripe tropical fruit salad on the nose, with pineapple, lime peel, mandarin orange, and grapefruit with hints of lemongrass and white flowers coming and going. On initial taste this was super delicate yet simultaneously electric on the palate, with great acidity supporting a spectrum of changing tropical notes that ends on a lingering fruit and saline finish.

I was told give this lots of air, and boy I’m glad I did. After 90 minutes in the glass, with initially some fading of the ripe tropical fruit notes on the nose, it comes back with increased intensity and more complex notes of rock candy and sea breeze take center stage. Instantly I’m transported to a warm island beach day, taking in the salt-laden air. The flavors on the palate additionally gain more intensity, complemented by the vibrant acidity and better incorporated alcohol from when first opened, while maintaining pure elegance.

In a word, this wine was fantastic. I only wish I still had some to follow on day 2 and so on in its youth, but the satisfaction of seeing heads turn by dry riesling novices after trying this was worth it. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Excellent note.

The Halenberg GG is actually a safe value and purchase every year. At the moment I really like to drink the 2009 and 2012. It is worth storing for a few years.

I actually have a couple bottles of the 2012 on their way to me, to get a peek at how it is with a little age.

I would not open a 2012 now. I brought one to NY recently to share with Robert Dentice and Renee and we all found it extremely tight and shut down.

Did you give it a year to settle down from bottle shock on arrival before opening? [wink.gif]

No, it’s not champagne.

Huge fan of German Rieslings. Every time I taste Emrich-Schonleber wines, I think to myself, “yep, these guys are still the best German Riesling producer out there”. Their wines are incredible and wish there was more to be found in the market place like some others.

When the first glass of an older Riesling is closed, the bottle is stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and there we go.

I do not consider 2012 older at all. I know a lot of people like the day 2 and 3 bottles, but to me the stale notes that come in are not worth it. Reds are worse than whites, but both lose vibrancy. Just age them more is my solution.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. For every saved bottle that is better the next day or thereafter, ten or more will be worse.

1 Like

Thanks for excellent tasting notes. I purchased this wine as well as the Frühlingsplätzchen based on a suggestion by Phil Bernstein’s from MacArthurs. Looking forward to sipping this one!

I’m going to open the Frühlingsplätzchen probably in a couple weeks when I’m off service. Should be fun.