TN: 2018 Bucklin Grenache Ancient Grenache Old Hill Ranch

• 2018 Bucklin Grenache Ancient Grenache Old Hill Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (5/6/2021)
    14.8% abv. Medium ruby, very inviting aromatics. On the palate, rose petals, red cherry, white pepper and a bit of menthol. While very young, this wine is well integrated and beautifully balanced. Will only get better over the next several years. In my opinion, Bucklin Ancient vine is one of California’s greatest Grenache. Not as showy or flamboyant as Saxum or SQN, but extremely refined and utterly delicious. Hope I can get more of this. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I had a bottle of this in April, and immediately ordered three more.

• 2018 Bucklin Grenache Ancient Grenache Old Hill Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (4/3/2021)
    Decanted for about six hours. The initial taste when I first opened it has the rich strawberry character I expected from Grenache, but also rich depth. Fast forward to dinner time, and the fruit is still right there, but it’s supplemented by an herbal, earthy melange. It seems more like a Grenache/Mourvèdre blend with all the savory elements. Smooth, and frankly too easy to drink. I blew through most of the bottle before I knew it. Very convincing.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Will makes one helluva grenache!! Great note as always Mike!!

Nice TN. So far, the gold standard for domestic Grenache for my palate is God Only Knows from Cayuse. I’d love to do a side-by-side with one of these. I love Bucklin and thank WB for introducing me!

Will Bucklin has mapped every vine in the old (130+ year old vines) section of the vineyard https://www.buckzin.com/resources/downloads/Bucklin-Anatomy-of-a-Field-Blend.pdf and there is a somewhat disproportionate amount of Grenache (relative to most other historic mixed-black vineyards). Lucky for all of us, as this grape thrives in this warm section of Sonoma Valley. Quite a treasure.

1 Like

Wow. That is amazing.