TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas

• 2019 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (5/6/2021)
    Goaded into opening this because of comments regarding another Halcon wine on-line, and I am glad that I have no willpower. There’s a juiciness to the black fruit, but also a restraint, as the fruit never goes super ripe or jammy. White pepper, meat and purple flowers (well, flowers, but I like purple flowers) bring the savory elements, and then on the back end the tannins kick in, and the pepper hangs like a fog rolling in from the sea. I like the balance and depth of this wine for significant cellaring, so I am glad I bought six. Maybe a bottle every two to three years might be about right.

Posted from CellarTracker

8 Likes

Already gone through three bottles in about a month-- and still eager to have others taste. Stuff is too good.

Thanks for the awesome note David! Really can’t get enough of Halcon syrah. Going to try and hunt some Elevacions down as well come fall!

Finishing up the bottle tonight, and holy cow!

3 Likes

Day 3 TN update?

It has maintained all the goodness of night one, but it’s even deeper.

1 Like

David

Good to hear it showed well. I often find in the first year or two in bottle, that our wines show better on day 1 (with a decant) and day 3 (or 4).

Paul

2 Likes

Didn’t make it to day 4!

Hey Mr Paul Gordon, you have made a gem here. Bravo.

• 2019 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (5/29/2021)
    First bottle of the 2019. WINNER! I opened this about 11am, we started drinking it around 2PM at an outdoor temp of about 68f, which was perfect. Initially, this showed white pepper but with time and more air, the pepper evolved to smell like the 2018 from last month, full of crushed black pepper. In addition, grilled meat and purple flower notes, too. And early on, I remarked to my buddy that the palate wasn’t keeping up with the beauty of the aromatics but after 4 hours of air, the palate caught up big time. A lot of gorgeous blue fruit, with some touches of red, seeming a bit primary early on but then gaining tar, and charcoal, the fruit becoming just gorgeous. In total, this is just a banging bottle of syrah, and as much as I gushed about the 2018 last month in my note, I think I like the 2019 even more. A wow wine, without a doubt.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Had the 2019 this evening with 4-5 hours of air and Frank’s note is spot on. I especially loved that the non-Berserkers I drank it with were all fans; they really enjoyed the wildness and the energy. I’ll have to find me a few more…

Frank, Yao,

Great to hear about the excellent showing of the 2019 Alturas. Definitely a more approachable vintage compared to the 2018.

Paul

Hi Paul. Where can i find the 2019 in Europe? Winesearcher is not very helpful.

How’s the 17 drinking? I’ve now gone to the cellar twice in the past month fully intending to pull either the 17 or the 19, debated endlessly (I have more of the 19! but the 17 should be more ready!), ending up with decision-fatigue and emerging with a rose instead. neener

Yank the '19

Because of the slow shipping, the UK and Spain just receiving their 2018s. 2019s will get to Europe in the fall.

Paul

2 Likes

Vince

We had two groups of visitors over the weekend who commented on how open they found our 2017 Syrahs recently. I was a little surprised but have not tasted in a few months.

Paul

1 Like

Vince

We had two groups of visitors over the weekend who commented on how open they found our 2017 Syrahs recently. I was a little surprised but have not tasted in a few months.

Paul

Yeah Vince,

To me the 17 Elevacion is drinking very well already with a bit of air. I usually open in the morning and slow ox with excellent results on 3 bottles so far. Haven’t had recent experience with the 17 Alturas.

While you’re at it, try a 2019 Esquisto! Far and away my favorite version of this wine so far

1 Like

Yup, I loved the 2019 Esquisto, especially on day 4. Found the tannins a bit punishing on days 1 and 2. Have some 17 and 18 as well, but will hold a couple years before trying another.

1 Like

Popped my first 2019 Alturas yesterday, finished tonight. I think this wine needs some taming and maturation. It’s big, I don’t recall a more rich Alturas, clocks in at 13.7%. Will check back in several years from now, I think I grabbed 2, 6-packs, plus Elevaccion

1 Like

Thanks for the note. Surprised to hear that it’s big. I haven’t had one yet, but I did pop open an Elevacion recently. Don’t recall being big, but thought it could use some time for stemminess to integrate a bit more. Though still loved it.