2006 Dom Ruinart BdB and 97` Williams Selyem Coastlands Pinot Noir

My sweetie and I journeyed down to Newport Beach for a 2 night stay, the 2nd night, tonight, featuring another special evening with an Orange County contingency of like minded wine geeks who affectionally call themselves The Book Club.

On the first night, we returned to one of our all time fav restaurants, Marche Moderne, where we have dined previously.

As per our MO, we take a nice champagne and a fine Burt Williams made Pinot:

2006 DOM RUINART BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 12/ 2016 with 4.5 gpl dosage; comprised of Chardonnay Grands Crus: 63% from the Côte des Blancs (predominantly Chouilly, Le Mesnil and Avize) and 37% from the northern slope of the Montagne de Reims (predominantly Sillery and Puisieulx); this was at least my 6th bottle of this treasure and thankfully it held true to form with consistent notes from those before it; there is a sense of royalty in the nose with inviting aromas of spicy citrus in the form of lemon and lime which continued on to be joined by ginger infused grapefruit, orange zest and white peach; it is super rich and full bodied and has a semi heavy mousse, amazing balance and bright acidity; as I’ve noted previously, it’s all I ever desire in a champagne and exudes class along with its charming elegance; poured into Sophienwald Grand Cru Champagne stems.

1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM COASTLANDS VINEYARD PINOT NOIR SONOMA COAST- this has a surprisingly high abv at 15.2%, but it’s not noticeable; following its typical grainy cinnamon red color came the expected cinnamon and spice laden red raspberry and strawberry with a bit if red cherry in the background in the nose and taste profile; it was medium to full bodied and seemed to just get better over the hour we took to drink it; one of the amazing things about this and most of Burts Pinots from 97 and older is that they maintain a semblance of the original article; notes from over 10 years ago read similarly; poured in to a Sophienwald Burgundy stem.

The wait staff at Marche Moderne was so accommodating and took righteous care of us throughout the entire evening while we were seated front and center at one of the 3 chefs tables and thoroughly enjoying the fine cuisine this restaurant is known for. Noting the table number and waitstaff names, we`re already looking forward to the next time.

Cheers,
Blake
466DD660-30C3-4FC1-9258-2B90965D1EF0_4_5005_c.jpeg

1 Like

Blake,
Great to hear about the Ruinart. I have a couple of these. The 2002 was really something!

Warren

1 Like

Love the 2006 Dom Ruinart. Great notes.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s going to be a 2008 release?

As you and I have shared herein Warren, the 02 is as you state "really something" and it was the inspiration for me to pull the 06 for this occasion and it held up in spades. At this point, the 02 is still the bomb, but 06 may get close, say 3-5 years.

Beautiful note on the '06 Ruinart BdB - happy to have a bottle of 2004 in the cellar awaiting us!

1 Like

Blake - I admire the way you drink!

The 1996 Coastlands that you shared at a Falltacular dinner a couple of years ago was the first and only Burt Williams made wine I have tasted, and for which I thank you. That was a fantastic wine and still youthful at over 20+ years of time in the bottle.

1 Like

304 proof is impressive, to be sure!

1 Like

Your feedback makes it all the better for sharing wines as I am grateful for the opportunity to do so. May you have more Burt made wines.

BTW, see Todd`s thread on a dinner some of us had last night. I did flight of 3 Pinots, one each from Burt, his daughter Margi, Brogan Cellars, and his close friend, also deceased, who he mentored, Chris Whitcraft, Whitcraft Winery.

My first inclination was to respond to you “no wonder I felt so hungover last night”, but truth be known, I kind of failed to edit properly once again. The dot is now in place. Thanks for the notice.