Forgotten purchases...

New one for me…

Retailer sends me an email that they have some bottles of 2015 Balthazar Cornas that I ordered and we have never squared up on. I have no personal record, but that is no verdict on my intentions from the supposedly 2019 order.
I paid the $69 per for the wine, weird angle is that the order was for 5 bottles…I certainly have never ordered 5 /maybe I was filling a case?

They offered to cancel and the wine is to them I’m sure more valuable on their floor, so I’m putting them up in my
Honesty buy from category.

Any similar stories of forgotten wine?

Not at the same scale, but because of COVID, I decided to add all my wines at home to cellartracker. After that, I decided to add all the wines I’d bought in futures to cellar tracker too, as I went through the 2019 Bdx season, then decided to add my historic purchases as well

Boy was that good. I’d forgotten about 12 bottles of 2018 Lynch Bages blanc, 6 bottles of 2018 Canon, 6 Rauzan Segla, and I’m sure a host of others too. Having it on cellartracker means I can also note the merchant I purchased from, which has really helped to keep a track of everything!

Anything with a wait longer than immediate shipping goes into my pending cellar tracker list. It’s the only way I can keep track, especially stuff that’s 6mo or a year out. That said, I’ve gotten the odd notification for things not on the pending list.

I bought a case of 2011 Boillot Corton Charlie—3 times—because I forgot I’d bought it.

1 Like

I take a less sophisticated approach. When I place an order, I put the email confirmation in an “Incoming” folder. So I can look in it to see what I haven’t received. And it’s good that I did that this year because someone forgot to ship me an order.

1 Like

This year, my local shop has been doing curbside pickup of online orders. About half of my pickup runs include an “I bought that? Cool!” moment. That seems to be an uptick from pre-COVID conditions.

I do use CT for the futures/long-lag delivery orders since I want purchase data married to the inventory, so those surprises are far less common.

Cheers,
fred

Oh I accidentally do this all the time, often because I’m sitting at my desk working when the emailers come in, and simply click “yes“. This last shipping season I found out that I had ordered the same wine in quantity from three different retailers. Anyone want some extra 2016 Baudry Croix Boissee, lol?

Some errors are delicious.

I track everything in CT Pending. Except the items I forget to add because I order them on my phone on a whim one night. I’ve definitely had some emails or just shipments show up and I have no record or remembrance until I dig into my email history.

No, I remember what I buy. Money is semi-precious and I don’t have loads of it on hand to throw to the wind. [wow.gif]

1 Like

Only happened to me once. A single bottle of The Bitch Australian Grenache as a joke gift for a friend who always referred to herself as the bitch. I remember gifting her the bottle and having a good laugh with her. A couple of years later I get a call from the wine shop to come pick-up the bottle or if I want it shipped. I told them that I had picked up the wine at the time of purchase. They insisted that I ordered and paid for this single bottle of wine and that they had been holding it for me for two years.I went down next week and picked it up. Not a good bottle of wine. LOL

Ummm…this thread reminded me that I have several cases of 2019 riesling sitting at Flatiron Wines. Since Feb. Oops.

CT has made this infinitely easier to avoid, but yes I do not always avoid it. Happens with some frequency still.

I am sorta decent at logging purchases in CT, not quite as good at logging arrivals, and much less consistent at “drink a bottle” entries. It leaves my inventory less reliable than one would hope

On this website, that is just scandalous! Are you suggesting that your liquidity is more precious then our precious liquids?

:wink:

I always tell people that I keep a chunk of my net worth in liquid assets champagne.gif