Not a bad Thursday Night: 14 Billy Fevre Cote Bouguerots & 2011 Chave Rouge

• 2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Côte Bouguerots - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (5/7/2021)
    Pure. This word kept coming back to me over and over, during the 90 minute decant to the last sip – the very essence of a great GC Chablis. Obviously this is still a baby, and while it did feel a bit bound up and tight, there was clearly enough showing to get a good feel for what will unfurl in due time. Ne’er could one find even a drop of anything resembling some type of fruit characteristic or trait; instead, this was a pristine sheet of minerals with just the right amount of supporting oceanic salinity and acidity. Again, it was still bound up a little so the palate coverage while respectable should really unfurl with another 4 to 10 years(?). I was completely under this Classical Chablis spell. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2011 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (5/7/2021)
    My first Chave rouge (or blanc for that matter). I think this had around a 2hr decant. I’ll do less of a tn and more an impression. I was afraid this might happen. Damn it. Like I need this. This Hermitage was spectacular and I have to have another Chave again at some point, the sooner the better. The poise, elegance, symmetry and yes generous fruit were all present, and in such a lovely package. I thought a lot about this – I think even if I didn’t know the label I would have been just as impressed as I was last night staring at that red Old English font on the H. Does it have decades ahead, sure. I don’t care. What a Thursday night.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Dale,

Great notes on two amazing wines! The Fevre was everything I could want in a Chablis. If I could drink that everyday, I’d be an extremely content dude.

The Chave really put into perspective how the best wines from a region can be so otherworldly. When you drink them, they just have that extra gear and lift that leaves you wanting more. So glad to have shared these two wines with you on a Thursday night!

Cheers, my friend :slight_smile: