TN: 2017 von Winning Sauvignon Blanc 500 (Germany, Pfalz)

• 2017 von Winning Sauvignon Blanc 500 - Germany, Pfalz (5/7/2021)
    Opened this for International Sauvignon Blanc Day. The 500 is a selection of the best 500L barrels of SB and from lower density vines that the other von Winning SB bottlings.

Deeply aromatic. A bit sulphurous at first with some struck match notes. Tropical and stone fruits alongside herbal and floral notes. Papaya, passion fruit, lime and grapefruit zest, quince and dried pineapple alongside elderflowers, fennel fronds, and jasmine. Quite rich on the palate, leaning much more towards Bordeaux than the Loire. It needs some time to shed its baby fat. I’d start checking in on this from 2026 onwards.

ABV: 13.0%
Closure: natural cork
Decant: 1h
Stem: Grassl Liberte

I also love what they do with, SB, Rodrigo!

I wandered into their tasting room in Deideisheim and came out mighty impressed. I think I have one of the 500, mainly the I and II. Thanks for the note.

Josh

It’s my time time around with von Winning’s SB, but I’m a huge fan of their rieslings. Well made SB, but a tad too rich at its current stage for my palate. I’ll be burying my remaining bottles very deep.

Sounds like a fun experience in Deideisheim. Just saw earlier today on Skurnik’s IG that they’re doing a live talk with Andreas Hütwohl on May 11th.

One of our local wine shops promotes their Rieslings alot. Are they worth a try?

I’d say so. I’ve quickly become a fan. I have a 2018 Langenmorgen queued up for tomorrow, so I’ll post TNs on it afterwards. I’m excited to get my hands on their 2019s.

1 Like

That’s one of the best wine names I’ve ever heard.

Good point, Chris!

Thanks Rodrigo!

The Von Winning 500 could be some German Formula 1 race.

I love the Von Winning SB’s, but I actually tend to like the “I” better than the 500. It’s a touch less rich, with less oak influence (the 500 tends to be mostly [all?] new wood). Still painfully concentrated young, though, so I’ve been trying to let mine hang out in the cellar for a few years. The “II” is delicious and a top value if you’re looking for a more fun style. It’s all stainless-steel-aged and has a bit more approachable personality out of the gate.

Thanks Saul

Given “I” is a combo of oak and steel that might be more up my alley in terms of richness. I was curious to check them out, but as I was looking at the tech sheet for “II” I noticed it had almost 8g of RS which threw me off a bit, but I’ll have to drink it and see.