A Krug GC and a Comtes to celebrate a Grand Reopening

Our favorite downtown restaurant reopened this week. We visited tonight after more than a year hiatus. We brought two bottles to share with the owners and the staff. The food was better than ever, including shaved asparagus salad, fava bean ravioli, seared halibut and nine-layered lasagna. Both bottles were also spectacular.

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 165eme
This is a great young GC. More rich and luscious than any recent eme. Still structured and balanced, with a long drinking window ahead. My favorite of the recent editions (162-168) for current drinking

2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
So different than any of the other Y2K decade versions. Full blown, but no hint of being over-ripe or over-the-hill. Brilliant orchard and citrus fruit and dense floral and mineral qualities, plus that Comtes glycerin mouthfeel. This screamed for food (and we fed it well)! A big success for the vintage…

We’re so thankful they weathered the storm and were able to survive the pandemic both physically and financially. They said staffing was difficult, but they were able to cobble together a world class team.

Cheers,
Warren
409E6216-6D78-4734-A3B3-8F3FC364BA8E.jpeg

4 Likes

Awesome. The 165 has also been my favorite. There’s just very little of it out there, so it is rarely discussed. I’m very glad to have loaded up, as I think its best days are ahead of it.

1 Like

Wonderful wines to celebrate something that deserves celebration, indeed!

1 Like

More stellar times and bubbly Warren. Love it If we both continue on like this, we`ll be filled up with so much gas, we may need to wear weighted shoes to stay grounded.

1 Like