TNs: Dominus 03, Angelus 94 and Clerico Ciabot Mentin 04

CHILL FRIDAY AT A FRIEND’S - Pinnacle@Duxton (8/5/2021)

Two very good wines shared by generous friends, and glad I got my guesses within a reasonable ballpark (almost went for Pinot for the Dominus with the very pretty nose but went for something new world, as it didn’t have enough acidity despite the elegant and sensual nose). I didn’t like my wine so much unfortunately - first time trying a modernist Barolo with age and reinforced how much I dislike obnoxious oak.

• 2003 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Supposedly the closest you can get to Bordeaux but didn’t get that here. This was a little monolithic when first opened but got a lot better after a couple of hours in the decanter. Very pretty, aromatic nose that came from some heavy oak use, texturally the wine was rather light without much tannins such that nobody guessed a Cab. Showed the hallmark of any well-made wine - balance, and a silky, elegant texture. Also had generous, sappy red fruit and a very good finish. Doesn’t quite emulate a Bordeaux nor is it my go-to style but I liked this a lot nonetheless.
  • 1994 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Classic Bordeaux nose old-school funk, tobacco leaves and cedar. Very intoxicating nose and on the palate it was drinking younger than I expected so I went for a 1990 as it showed similarly to previous good bottles of 1990s that I tried. Palate was a little green from the cool vintage but still had good structure. Unfortunately after a couple of hours in the decanter the fruit faded and the wine fell off a cliff.
  • 2004 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Agree with the previous comment that this is still a puppy, but I am not sure if the oak will ever integrate. Opened this 6 hours before dinner and had a little taste, all I got was a sweet, creamy vanilla note. Luckily it settled down by dinner but there was still a ripe red fruit character that didn’t meld with the powerful tannins. Objectively I don’t think this is a bad wine, but for my taste I don’t think Nebbiolo can stand up to such oak treatment.

1 Like

I liked the 07 ciabot when I had it a couple years ago.