Does free corkage make up for steak sticker shock?

Last night was a quiet evening and we were eating at the local steak house and the waiter comes over and says that they have Tomahawk steak as a special that night.

Hummm. Had that several times in the past, great presentation and tasty. Somewhat expensive, but not wallet breaking so we order it.

As advertised, delicious and impressive to look at. I expect the price to be somewhat north of the most expensive steak on the menu (which was $69). Figured give or take $90.

Turns out it was in the Great White North of that.

$150.

Good news is that the waiter waved the $20 corkage fee (we brought our own wine).

Our fault for not asking the price ahead of time, but if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

Lesson learned.

yeah, I learned the lesson about specials long ago and always ask the price. Special doesn’t mean cheap.

2 Likes

This. I do have a pet peeve of servers noting the specials but seemingly excluding the prices on them. I have no qualms about inquiring though, you’re not offending anyone by asking.

2 Likes

If a server recites the specials without giving prices, I make it a point to make the server give prices on all of them, particularly if I’m with a group. I can afford “it” precisely because I don’t spend money blindly. I won’t be shamed into ignorance and hope my example makes it more comfortable for others to speak up.

5 Likes

How big was the steak?
Also how was it presented and how did it taste?
This happened at one of our favorite restaurants. That said the porterhouse served was huge and terrific! $175 price tag seemed high. I agree that we could and maybe should have asked.
This restaurant never charges us corkage and we bring 2 bottles.

You’re a CPA and don’t know enough to ask the price?

Be grateful, after 2020. Eat, drink, and pay.

5 Likes

Those tomahawks are also weirdly, crazily more expensive at the butcher shop. I don’t know why. Nobody’s doing anything with that bone except for the dog.

3 Likes

Haha!
We really don’t need to.
The price doesn’t matter. We have frequented the restaurant probably 100 times.
We just understand what Stan was asking.
You apparently don’t.

<coughs, takes a sip of water, goes back to watching the game>

Because people will pay for it?

Agreed there’s no point though. It adds zero to the flavour of texture of the finished product.

I do the same. I like hearing prices for stuff.

wow for that price you should at least get American wagu! Nice they waived the corkage though…

1 Like

If the most expensive steak on the menu feeds one person for $69 and this steak feeds two for $150, it’s not really that far off is it?

The restaurants that survived have to rebuild their finances.

Along with poor Chinatown noodle-slingers.

Unlike many rich wine collectors.

1 Like

this was kind of my thought. unless the most expensive steak is just the boned out version of the exact same ribeye. but I typically would imagine a tomahawk being a two person order.

mostly im just surprised that a place that regularly serves $70 steaks is only a $20 corkage fee.

1 Like

It helps but agree with everyone who stated they should be stating prices for specials espcially when it is over a $100.

People who don’t ask the cost end up paying the price.

So do those that do ask.