TN: 2019 Sabelli-Frisch Mission La Malinche

2019 Sabelli-Frisch Mission La Malinche - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi Mokelumne River (5/1/2021)
Very light in color - midway between a red and a rose. Blind, I might pin this as a Pinot Noir, but an unusual one. It’s lighter in body (and color), but a bit more substantial in tannin structure.

Bright, light, elegant, graceful, subtle. But not boring or quiet or subdued - this is a very nice, enjoyable, balanced wine. Red fruit, like a juicy ripe watermelon. Strawberry. Medium tannin backbone that gives it heft. Spice - ginger? Gentle white pepper? Cinnamon?

Seek this out. It’s different and quite good.

Agreed. On of our BD favorites. Tasting note is spot on. Reordered a few to last us until the next shipping window.

Agreed. Very different wines in a good way. Glad I picked up a mixed case of the Sabeli Frisch wines on Berserkers Day.

Thanks for the note and all the comments. I have a couple from Adam and loo forward to popping one soon.

Thanks for the notes. I have two bottles of La Malinche and two Hernan that I’m looking forward to open soon. Last wednesday I had a mission wine for the first time, it was a 2019 Cara Sur from Argentina (Criolla Chica is how mission is known down there). Ripe watermelon was also my first impression, specially on the nose, so I guess that it’s the typical character of the varietal.