TN: 2019 Maison les Alexandrins Viognier (France, Vin de France)

• 2019 Maison les Alexandrins Viognier - France, Vin de France (5/2/2021)
    This is a very good wine. It had a 93 point floral and citrus nose and the front of the palate is excellent with a tropical fruit melange deserving of 90+, but I was slightly troubled by the bitterness at the back of the palate that went a bit too far beyond spicy Viognier and oeft a slight bad aftertaste. Following my rule that a wine at 90 or above must have no notable negative characteristics, this wine gets the dreaded 89, but Rebecca had less trouble with that and said it deserved a 91 because the rest of the wine was excellent. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I actually like a touch of that grapefruit pith / quinine notes on viognier blends. I noticed the same on a Guigal CdR blanc the other day, which is mostly viognier too. It rounds out the fleshiness of this. Weirdly very late last I was reading the WS tasting note of your wine, and compared it to the Guigals TN mulling over whether I should try a (never tasted) example of the VdF. It’s a bit less distributed so I’d have to do mail order or something.

I know its a pain for retailers, but I kind of wish they would take Vin de France AOC wines and put them in the regional categories where a customer might assume the come from, like Rhone or Loire or what not. (For website purposes)