Why do pro critics think Orin Swift Wines are good?

These wines are terrible. Why do critics give them 94 and higher? This is why I think wine critics are not reliable.

I tend to agree with your opinion. For me they seem to be overly extracted with heavy wood treatment. But some like this style and if you do, enjoy!

1 Like

I don’t mind them but don’t buy for myself. Most of the time I’m buying them out for business dinners. They’re popular and crowd pleasing to who I’m entertaining for work and fit the budget. I usually order Saldo. At least it keeps me from having to order Caymus.

Older guys who need to get hit in the nose by a fistful of forward fruit?

1 Like

I don’t mind them but don’t buy for myself. Most of the time I’m buying them out for business dinners. They’re popular and crowd pleasing to who I’m entertaining for work and fit the budget. I usually order Saldo. At least it keeps me from having to order Caymus.

Caymus will be more expensive for sure.

“pro critics”
top kek

2 Likes

So you literally hate their entire portfolio of wines? They don’t have even one wine you like?

Unlikely. Pointless thread to bash critics.

Oh, and the Papillon impressed in the past but haven’t tried newer vintages.

Tons of people like them (though I don’t really myself). On some level it makes sense to direct your customers to wines they’re going to like?

People always claim that Parker and other critics caused people to like ripe oaky wines. I’ve always thought it was more likely the other way around — Parker and other critics became successful because they identified wines a lot of their subscribers would like.

1 Like

Unlikely. Pointless thread to bash critics.

Really, how many people that know wine like these?

I have a friend who does know/like/spend$ on wine, and they’ve tried pouring these* for me a few times with the ‘try it you’ll like it’. I thought they were ok, but didn’t see the fuss he was making. He tends to like New World wines much more though.

On the bright side its good that there are different tastes, and different wines … it would be very boring if there was only thing to drink.

• I realize now that I was confusing Owen Roe with Orin Swift. Ignore everything I said before (on this comment)

Define ‘know wine’ please . . . [soap.gif] [soap.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

1 Like

What I was going to say - tons of people know wine enough to like the wine.

I actually think the Papillon is decent. Nothing amazing but not bad at all. Some of the other stuff has been meh at best. The branding is goofy, but so are plenty of other wine brands that are loved on this board.

1 Like

Because it’s their job to think they’re good.

Agree, very easy for business dinners with non-winos. Not what I would choose for myself, but I can drink it

these are incredibly popular wines for the right crowd. every somm in a steakhouse I know sells the crap out of it.

1 Like

Because they pay 2k per month?

8 Likes

It truly is an atrocious wine

2 Likes

It’s like a liquid distillate of Conor McGregor, Chuck Norris, and Danny Trejo–how could that be anything less than a 95 point wine? [berserker.gif] [snort.gif]

1 Like

Calling that :poop: “wine” is generous.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2819835#p2819835

1 Like