TN: 2003 Joseph Drouhin Chambolle Musigny 1er Baudes

I recently picked up a stash of somewhat aged burg from Benchmark including some of this bottling, some Gelin 02 GC lieu dits, and 03 Latour RSV for a song.

Bottle is perfect with fill well into the neck and a supple cork. Stunning nose with sous bois, earth, and currants. Palate had a beautiful combination of pure fruits and some secondary savory elements. Very long and complex finish. At <$50 a bottle this is just an absurd value.

I really don’t understand the dislike of 03. I’ve had some beautiful ones lately.

Its good to have a win sometimes, I have seen a few notes on 03 Burgs which have been complimentary lately.

Thanks for the note. I have had a few good '03s. I still have a few dozen and hoping fpor a few nice surprises down the track.

I think they just needed time. I feel like you’re almost always rewarded and never penalized for leaving RED burg in the cellar. When’s the last time you’ve opened a red burg within 30 years of vintage date and thought you should’ve opened it a few years ago? I had a few 90 Bourgognes lately that were great.