Next of Kyn 2018

Received the e-mail and the letter the same day.

A box containing 3 NOK #12 plus 1 Touriga Nacional (Numero Quatro). If I recall correctly, last year’s offering was similar. No change in pricing. The ordering window is 10 days but he warns that the wine may sell out before the end. That did happen with the last SQN offer.

My first year ordering, so I logged on right when it opened. Was able to grab the mag set as well.

Love these wines–easy order for me. The Touriga is a particularly fun/good wine–too bad they don’t make more of it :slight_smile:

So I searched the thread from last year and I was reminded that they did two separate offerings for the 2017 release - one 4-pack of standard NOK blend (similar to what is offered this year) and a 4-pack of Touriga. The Touriga sold-out immediately. I missed out. The year, there is no separate offering and, it would seem, not that much interest.

Why do you think not much interest in it?

Look at the threads for recent SQN releases. Much more activity. Maybe the market for these wines is getting saturated. I love them, but NOK prices at the same point as the extended
barrel aged SQN. If you could only buy one, which would you choose?

It seems like the addition of different labels (NOK, Third Twin, Chimere) is similar to what Baron is doing with Cayuse. Maybe a way to avoid getting too big.
You have Cayuse, No Girls, Horsepower and Hors Categorie. There is a long wait for Cayuse and SQN, but not so much for the other offerings.

I don’t know, the magnums were sold out in a couple of hours I think. Shame. The last one was fantastic

Good question- for those that have had both, is your preference SQN or NOK?

I missed mags this year but happy to see the Touriga in the 750 format. I bought mags last year simply to get access to the Touriga.
fred

They’re different—not sure it’s fair trying to choose one over the other. But I like the fact they are different, and I enjoy them equally for their differences.

I have an extra box set. If interested PM me…

First allocation after 4 years on waitlist. Pulled the trigger, but marks my most expensive per bottle spend for my collection. Excited to try them in 10 years =)

Try at least one of them upon arrival—they’re quite tasty :slight_smile:

Have an allocation of a box for the taking if it helps someone out.

This is very helpful. Can others give guidance to new Next of Kyn ageing and whether some of the wines can be opened early?

I think the original release (2007) is still drinking well. Said another way, I think they are definitely age-worthy. I also think they have all been approachable from the get go. Both of those characterizations, however, are obviously based on personal biases. For those who shy away from the primary fruit and young tannins, give these 5-7 years. Conversely, if you love the punch of younger wines drink them in the first 10-12 years (depending on vintage).

Would love to hear others’ thoughts as well!

If you want to add a third component to the mix, I’m curious about how Third Twin Nuestra Señora compares. I have been getting SQN since the 2006 release, but I was slow to respond when NOK was first offered so I had to wait 8 years to finally get some. I managed to get Third Twin from the start, but I still have not opened a bottle of either. Not sure where to start.

That’s like asking if you’d rather have a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, haha.
Probably mild preference for the SQN line personally, but I’d fill a swimming pool with either

Popped a 2016 for last Xmas season and was blown away.

Needs some decanter time but so far beautiful dark blue fruit and a touch of blueberry/açaí and black pepper. Gorgeous. Crazy young obviously.

2025-2035+? (97-100 range) (99 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

In February 2020, my wine group did a dinner with every NoK that had been released at the time. One of the first vintages was a bit different but there was amazing consistency among the different vintages. If you love the style, which is not dissimilar from SQN, then that’s great. However, at least at this stage, the effects of the different vintages are minimized. Based on the earlier vintages, I would be very comfortable recommending any NoK to an SQN lover.