Greg hosted a brilliant Monday Table last night where the theme was 2001 Red Burgundy. I remember on release, many of the scribes were touting the 2002 vintage as superior. A few of us preferred the 2001’s, feeling that it was an absolutely classic vintage. It is indeed, and the wines are showing beautifully at 20 years of age. They are pure, bright and energetic, with fresh fruit flavours. They are relatively compact and linear but lack no flesh. They have excellent minerally detail and earthy nuance.

All wines were from 750ml, apart from the Mugnier Moose, which was a Magnum. Greg sneakily served half of the Magnum in a bracket, then poured the other half as a final options wine. It was far more perfumed and fleshy later in the evening.

2002 Dom Pérignon Champagne: Just starting to take on a bit of mushroom development. It is quite peachy and is plump, full and creamy in the mouth. You could feel the dosage in this bottle but it is drinking very nicely.

2002 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: The nose has some struck match, white peach and lemon. The palate is deep, rich and intense. There are bready/biscuity notes and a high-tensile spine. It has great volume and awesome cut. A powerhouse.

2011 Domaine Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère: There are mildly exotic fruits mixing it up with some spearmint and vanilla. It is rich and layered with flavour. There are enticing cooler notes below the flesh and it has great balance and proportion. Certainly Grand Cru quality here.

2001 Henri Boillot Chevalier-Montrachet, Grand Cru: Just starting to get some bruised apple to the aroma and flavour profile. It has dense stone fruits and a touch of spice. Flavours are deep and long and there’s underlying minerality.

2001 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet, Grand Cru: This was in stonkingly good form. There’s a whiff of matchstick to the aroma. It has a suggestion of pineapple, rockmelon and mango and such an intense core of flavour. It is layered, voluminous and long, carried by a fine line of minerally acidity.

2001 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: Earthy and pure. Highly-perfumed red and blue fruits. Mid-weight but near perfect balance and proportion. So silky of texture and good persistence.

2001 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: Quite meaty and dark with some sauvage notes. There’s floral spice and some pine needle action. It has a core of black cherry and still ample structure.

2001 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin, Grand Cru: An inviting nose of fresh earth and berries. It is relatively compact and linear in the mouth, with a real stony base. It really breathes up and is elegant, highly-perfumed and expansive. Delicious wine.

2001 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Ruchottes-Chambertin Clos des Ruchottes, Grand Cru: A wine of elegance and poise. There’s a hint of mossy development and some sweet meat notes. It is plump in the mouth with fresh cherry fruit. It builds through the palate and fans out on the finish.

2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: The nose is quite earthy with a suggestion of decaying rose. It is full and plump in the mouth with vinous sweetness. There’s a shot of espresso and nice chew to the long finish.

2001 Domaine Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Musigny, Grand Cru: From magnum this was quite tight to begin with. There was some menthol and meat and then all of the pretty red and blue things came to the fore. It had a velvety feel against the gums and possessed great volume and perfect balance. There was a hint of floral spice and mint and plenty of mineral to the back-end.

2001 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: A little shy to begin with. Unfurls beautifully in the glass. It has a heart of black cherry and so much floral spice. It is rich, layered and powerful, with stony minerality. It is a big wine but light on its feet and possesses great detail. The finish drives on and on and is earthy.

2001 Domaine G. Roumier Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: Complex aromatics of smoked meats, spiced plum, black cherry and dried flowers. It is deep, penetrating and chewy, with so much intensity. It has power and length to burn, finishing with refreshing fruit rind bitterness and loads of earth.

2001 Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Bèze, Grand Cru: This is ‘old school’ Faiveley… barely evolved and muscular. There are aromas of rose petal, smoke, earth and dark fruits. It is rich, compact and has good minerally definition. Needs time.

2001 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze, Grand Cru: Generous and full with notes of sweet meat, earth red berry and cherry. It is fleshy, with a cool feel. It really builds through the palate, finishing with minerally cut and leaving a spice laden calling card.

2001 Domaine Leroy Corton-Renardes, Grand Cru: A bright and punchy nose of pine needle sap, rose petal, cranberry and sandalwood. It has intense and rich fruit flavours that vacillate between red and black. It is earthy with plenty of iron and a finish of great drive and authority.
2001 Domaine Leroy Clos Vougeot, Grand Cru: This wine reminds me a bit of the ’01 La Tache, with its notes of Hoisin, Sandalwood and Asian spice. It is rich and powerful in the mouth, with tremendous depth. Texture is velvety with ample structure just below the flesh. It possesses prodigious length of flavour and is just entering what I suspect will be a very long drinking window.

2001 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Nacional: Almost a Grange-like crushed ant note to the aroma. There’s so much going on and the wine is so deep and luscious. Fruits are dark and there’s a strand of licorice weaving through the flavour profile. It has some vanilla spice and is powerful, rich, long and light on its feet.

3 Likes

I feared the 2001 referred to the number of bottles. Great notes and wines.

My favorite vintage for drinking GC Burg right now. The Dujac CSD is magic if you can find it Jeremy.

Bravo

Killing it. As always, drinking well and cracking good notes. Thanks for the vicarious thrills!

Anyone had faiveley Mazis lately?

Havent had it lately, but it would be a fair guess that it would still be a bit of a brute.

Thanks Matthew. I think I have 1x’01 CSD buried somewhere in the cellar.

Michael, I haven’t had it in a while but, like Marcus, I suspect it needs more time.

What a great set of wines and notes. Nice to see the 2001s showing well. It is strange but actually have few bottles from this tasting, normally Jeremy’s notes cover fantasy island wines for me.

No rush to drink these wines?

thnx brodie

Great notes . I love it . My whites are mostly gone now , the reds are delicious I think .

Thank you. I have a few of those and it is nice to see how they are doing.

[dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

I have one lone 375 of 01 faiveley Mazis. Maybe I’ll let it sit another 5 years.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I drank the 93 mazis a few months back. Surprisingly resolved, deep, perfumed and enchanting.

After reading Jeremy’s wonderful post, I looked at CellarTracker at the 2001 Burgs I have left. My guess is that it may be the best collection of wines of any vintage in my cellar. The prices were really wonderful back then. [But, my 2001 whites are long gone.]

Kara and I drank the '02 Krug a few years ago. Easily the greatest bottle of Champagne I’ve ever had; a stunningly good wine.