Magnum Storage

Need help with the storage! Right now I have a bunch of weinboxes, but magnum bottles don’t do well in those. Would love to move the bottles onto a rack and free up weinbox space for standard bottles.

What is everyone’s favorite storage option for magnums? Am I overthinking this and there is a well loved rack that everyone is using? Should I just create a cube and lay all the bottles that way? Most of these will lie around for a while so access isn’t a big issue, the party magnums will just go on top.

Magnum racks. There are a variety of styles (google is your friend here) I have ones that hold about 3 bottles (magnums, Turley, Pinot) in a single opening. I don’t like cubes. IMHO, too unstable.

Tell me more about your party magnums.

Domaine wine boxes or vine vault boxes

Thanks! Was hoping for a rack that would do well to hold them.

Haha. Our magnums are pretty much wine from the kiddo birth years to lay up until we deserve to celebrate their birthday with a magnum or “party magnums” of bubbles, rose, or easier drinking red that we have when we bring the pod over for fire pit nights. That, or we bring a magnum+ sized bottle to a friends house because how is that not the perfect party gift? (granted, we did not do this last year…)

Yeah, I googled, and none look particularly popular in general. Which brand do you have? I’d prefer to avoid cubes the more I read about them.

Ikea Hejne racks. The predrilled holes in the vertical members are 5-inch separation, then add either their Ivar metal racks or wood wine racks for 750s, or the flat shelves for mags, Krugs, etc. Also be sure to add another vertical member (plain 1x4) on each side for added bottle security, and extending above the top shelf a little. The flat racks allow the mags to slide around a bit, so not perfect, but pretty cost-effective. I get 4 mags per shelf (20" width shelf) and have 14 shelves total. Cinch to assemble.

Here for this incredibly detailed answer. Thank you!

59axar.jpg

For bordeaux magnums I would use 4" cardboard tubes. For Champagne magnums or Burgundy magnums 6" tubes will do the trick (these also work for 3L bordeaux bottles too). I use these in my offsite storage locker and if I ever build a home wine cellar I’d seriously consider their use (although I might get plastic instead of cardboard).

Interesting idea- thanks!

Finally a forum with folks who appreciate my life choices!

I feel I am invited over in December because people know I will always come over with a magnum of champagne.

1 Like

Because a magnum shows you care :slight_smile: