Gigondas

One of my favorite QPR regions. Picked up some bottles of Domaine Bosquets Gigondas 2007 on Winebid recently. Drinking spectacularly well now with red/black fruits, eucalyptus, pepper and mineral. $20 something each.
058213D2-BAB5-417A-9301-5ECB9460D909.jpeg

1 Like

Nice score! I do like Gigondas.
I have always thought about trying auctions, but worry about the fees and possible bad bottles.
Why would somebody be trying to unload wine at a cheap price if it was any good?

I wonder that myself. Maybe just not their thing. I can’t ever remember getting a bad bottle on Winebid. I buy selectively though. I visited and tasted at this producer so I had an idea of what I was getting into.

I’ve bought bottles of wine that I thought I would love. A Tribute to Grace Grenache being the most recent example and discovered they were not for me, though many on here like her work.

1 Like

People’s taste changes. They get divorced. They have too much wine. They move and have to downsize their cellars. There are lots of reasons people sell good wine.

I’ve never bought directly from Winebid, but friends have served me a lot of great bottles over the years that came via Winebid.

2 Likes

Death, Divorce & Destiny!

The best are fabulous!!!

But, why would anything but swill be offered? The consignor does NOT know the quality of the wine being offered!!!

Yes it does occur! Hire a wine consulant!

1 Like

Tribute to Grace swings wildly for me, too. had some great, great wines from her and others I didn’t enjoy at all. I think Grenache just has a very fine line for me from sublime to jolly rancher… and man I can’t stand it when it crosses that line. but some do like it still.

1 Like

Exactly,
I sold some wine last March and they were all great bottles from a well cared for cellar (mine), I simply had too much wine.

2 Likes

Michael,

Regarding Tribute to Grace I have recently gone through a few bottles of 2018 SBC.
I do like it but its a lighter style but still plenty of substance.
Reminds a bit like the style of D&R.
My local bistro had it for a really good price so I bought a bunch.
I can’t say its my favorite Grenache but enjoyable enough to keep drinking it.
Of course its way different than Gigondas.
You might consider giving the 2018 a try.

1 Like

The regions wine’s can last longer than one would expect too. Here’s a Longue Tocque at age 27
IMG_20171126_154828.jpg

1 Like

My experience with Gigondas is limited, but I had a 1981 Pierre Amadieu at Bern’s a couple of weeks ago that was still incredibly vibrant, tense, and full of life. Very pleasant surprise.

They had it on the list for ~$30.

2 Likes

My limited experience with Gigondas has been one of pleasant surprises. Seems to be an under appreciated region.

1 Like

As a general rule, Gigondas ages effortlessly to around 15 or so. Some wines (possibly just some bottles) do last as long as those mentioned here. And I have found traditional ones (particularly Raspail Ay and Domaine de la Garrigue, which I have had many times at 20 years old, showing its best) to have betger aging potential. But I would not, as a rule, expect them to go for 30 years.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Gigondas - have around 5 cases mixed. All the way back to 1995 Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues which is still drinking well.

2 Likes

A99C8334-7B67-444E-8A44-97598CA93023.jpeg
This was a beautiful 1966 Gigondas drunk in 2017.

“ Mid red-Orange. Translucent and bright. On the nose, this is very Grenache. Macerated cherries, a hint of kirsch and sweaty leather.

The palate is holding up well. Very alive with nice acidity and bright fruit. There is touch of fig which would suggest a hot year (?) but this adds to the quite generous palate. A delightful drink. Not particularly complex, but for a 50 year old negoce wine from Lille, a lovely wine.”

Beautiful! I keep ‘scenic’ bottles like that and am running out of room to put them.

if you don’t need the physical bottle, these are ok

hmm. not sure why amazon link doesn’t show on my screen but search on oenophilia label lift