TN: Foillard CdP, Bründlmayer Heiligenstein, Produttori Pajè

No new, untested producers this week! Brief additional comments:

The Produttori was extremely solid and in a style that I love. Many might consider it too young at this point but I loved, as did the missus, and the bottle evaporated very quickly. I guess I need to buy more when the EU prices are still pretty decent.

Bründlmayer’s Heiligenstein Riesling is one of my absolute favorite Austrian wines but somehow I seem to forget that over and over again. I think it strikes a pretty ideal balance between ripeness and crispness. Even better on day 2.

I am really struggling with Beaujolais these days and while I had thought of 2016 as the last classic and dependable vintage the Foillard was a bit of a letdown this time. I just bought a trio of 2019 Beaujolais (Foillard Morgon Tradition, Desvignes Montpalais, Thivin Brouilly Reverdon) and look forward to trying them but the future seems really uncertain when it comes to me and these wines.

• 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (15.5.2021)
    Slow-ox’d for two hours, decanted for two more. Heady, generous and attractive on the nose with rich, savory dark cherry, tar and bitter dark chocolate. Very charming. Full bodied and appropriately portioned on the palate with very rich and lively fruit and notable, grippy tannins that do not form a wall between me and enjoyment. A pretty masculine, muscular expression and so very clearly on its way up but for my palate mighty delicious and drinkable. There is some warmth there that makes me question the 14% ABV on the label but then it fits the overall package very well. The mid-palate could use a bit more depth but that’s me being unnecessarily critical. Overall this is a very tasty, classic Nebbiolo from one of the stalwarts.
  • 2014 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Riesling Heiligenstein - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (13.5.2021)
    Wonderfully bright, fresh and sunny on the nose with notes of yellow apple, lime, iodine and crushed rock. Relatively ripe fruited but appealingly tangy with a slight nostril-stinging sensation. On the palate it has a good concentration and the entry is deceptively soft, but almost immediately after the majestic acidity emerges in a wide wave, carrying all the way to lingering, mouth-puckering finish. Similar to the nose the fruit on the palate is a bit on the ripe side but the wine stays positively dry and there is more than sufficient structure. Despite moderate 12.5% ABV this is a powerhouse of a wine and guaranteed to develop well in the cellar.
  • 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (12.5.2021)
    Pretty classic and expressive on the nose. Ripe yet tangy cherry-driven fruit dominates but more importantly it is markedly earthy with a hint of barnyard. The palate is where it gets interesting, in both good and bad. At first clumsy and disjointed, after half an hour very balanced and tasty, and then 1.5 hours later it is getting close to a point where some might find it borderline faulty (ethyl acetate). That aside it is richer than expected but not overtly so. It sports a very good structure with slight tannic grip and lifting acidity. A lot of good qualities to be found, but without a doubt it peaked quickly and then started to go downhill.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I’m sorry the Foillard didn’t show well for you - I’ve had that vintage three times and it didn’t seem to change so drastically so I’d give it another shot if you see it around, because I still think it’s one of the best Beaujolais wines I’ve ever had.

Yeah, that’s what the CT notes would tell me and indeed I have enjoyed previous vintages of this wine, while the 2014 Foillard Corcelette is perhaps my favorite Bojo ever. Still, at its best this bottle was plenty enjoyable so I can’t complain too much and the week was all uphill wine-wise from there :slight_smile:

It’s one of my favorites too. I like the Heiligenstein Lyra even more. It’s very interesting to compare the two. I imagine some people’s preference will go the other way, especially in riper vintages.

I’m having the same issue, but I think of '14 the way you described '16. There’s been some discussion of it in other threads. I have a few 2019s at home that I’m also looking forward to trying. I’m not hoping for classic, just something I can enjoy.

I just bought some 2015 Lyra. Don’t forget the Heligenstein Alte Reben. There are three Heiligenstein cuvees to compare.

Thanks, I was thinking about the Alte Reben. I’m not as familiar with the “regular” Heiligenstein. My mistake.

Do you mean that you found the 2016 a clearly warmer vintage in comparison to 2014? I have not really compared to two much myself, but certainly after 2015s the 2016 vintage felt like a clear return to form for this region. Looking forward to your and others’ notes on the 2019s.

I thought 2016 was less consistent and generally softer, as I remember.

Could well be. I just recall really enjoying the energy and juicy freshness of the 2016s across many producers, I think especially Lapierre did really well after struggling in the 2015 vintage.