TN: 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Lewman Vineyard

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Lewman Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/15/2021)
    Initially a smoky feel, but after letting it open up in glass for awhile, that kind of went away and left a juicy, red fruited wine with great acidity. As someone else said - weightless. Very nice stuff, one of my favorites in the lineup so far. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I went back to the well for this and the Old Vine Pommard bottles. So good.

1 Like

Thanks Adam,

It’s a special site. There is a core set of vineyards in the Eola-Amity Hills that always seem to produce wines in the very top tier of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. While Lewman vineyard isn’t well known, it sits adjacent to the Bethel Heights estate vineyard and Temperance Hill. Lewman is more closely aligned with the Flat Block at Bethel Heights for my palate and it was really a pleasure to get to work with that fruit for two years.

2018 Goodfellow Lewman Vineyard

Much more open than the 17 temperance hill. I decanted it and it helped but this was pretty open for business. Pure cherry fruits and a bit of earth. This is again clearly not burgundy but more elegant and lovely than other Oregon PN I’ve had. Excited to try the heritage wines!

This fall we’ll be releasing the 2019 Heritage No. 16, Lewman vineyard. The vintage difference from 2018 to 2019 will, I believe, be something many Berserkers will really enjoy.

3 Likes

Rather than start my own thread, I’ll pile my TN in here:

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Lewman Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (7/25/2021)
Wow this was a good wine. Perfect balance of berry fruit, acidity, tannins, and earthiness. Absolutely nothing off about it. I was one of those wines that just lights up your brain on the first sip and the next thing you know the bottle is empty.

Paired with burgers, but most of the bottle was consumed without food and it stood up just fine. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Other than the hint of smoke and raspberry flavor (covered by other TNs) I didn’t jot down too detailed notes. The bottle also didn’t last long enough to see how it evolved in the glass :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marcus,

What does the number designation represent on your heritage bottles? (e.g. Heritage No. 16 Lewman, Heritage No. 7 Whistling Ridge). Thank you.

I think it’s just the number order in which he has made the Heritage wines, as he doesn’t do it with each vineyard every year. I could be wrong.

Much too simple. He needs to start using stars and gold capsules. :wink:

Fuder numbers!

Almost positive Brian is right. He only made one Heritage wine per vintage from 2012 - 2014 and did not number them. In 2015, he started numbering them with Numbers 4 - 6, and on and on in subsequent vintages.

That’s exactly correct Scott.

It’s become a little confusing, but ultimately it also shows our progression with these wines.

1 Like