Paul Pillot and Jean-Marc Pillot

I often see recommendations on this board for one or both of these producers including for these reds. I have only really ever had a couple of tastes of these wines and don’t know that much about them. Thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of these producers? Is one better than the other? How do their wines differ?

Thanks.

For red or white?

Both. I esp. am interested in your answer for red given how much you drink red Chassagne (where I mostly drink Ramonet and Moreau, but have some Heitz-Lochardet on the way) but am interested in both, where I love the same three producers but drink more broadly.

I think both have been excellent producers since 2012; earlier than 2010 I think the style was a little different and likely wouldn’t be to your liking. The 2007 jm Pillot CSJ was an oaky mess. They are both excellent white producers which offer a bit of what value there is in white burg (along with heitz lochardet) although I probably prefer PYCM.

2 Likes

Are they stylistically similar or different. For example, I love the reds from Ramonet and from Moreau, but they taste very different.

I would say they’re more similar than different, but am by no means an expert on the differences. Both that I’ve had have been excellent.

1 Like

Hummm - makes me think I need to organise a red chassagne dinner…!

1 Like

I had the 2010 JM Pillot Chevalier this weekend. Very good, but it suffered in comparison to the 2012 PYCM Chevalier. I’ve never had a Paul Pillot so I can’t comment on those wines.

1 Like

I’ve been buying the Paul Pillot Bourgogne Blanc off and on (2 or 3 bottles a year) since the 2015 vintage and enjoy them as a straight up the middle well made white burg. Not too edgy, not too rich. I don’t know if the BB a speaks more to Chassagne or Puligny, but it is clearly Burgundy. I’ve had a few 1ers in the 8-10 year old range - very tasty, aging correctly, and had me looking for more. At last year’s La Paulee the 2017s were shown and I was very impressed. These were very intense, lemony, mineral-inflected wines that were well balanced and delicious. Sadly the top Crus are getting quite pricey.

Naturally price is relative, and they are ever climbing, but compared to other Burg producers I think there’s still good value.

I adore J-M Pillot, particularly his Vergers ‘Clos St. Marc.’ It’s a very special wine made with 100-year-old vines. Like a few other 1ers – perhaps most notably Boillot’s ‘Clos de la Mouchere’ – it often has grand cru weight and texture, and it’s still a relatively bargain.

JM Pillot wines are very good red wines and prices are excellent ($45-$65) for 1er.

Same. His 18s are excellent and I loved them in barrel as well. Very underrated producer imho and I strongly agree about his Clos St. Marc.

I also like Paul Pillot, whose 18s are also excellent. Paul Pillot tends to make slightly more dense and structured wines, whereas JM Pillot makes to me more mineral and focused wines. Paul Pillot’s winemaking has gone through a bit of a change in the past decade or so - the wines used to be oakier; I think they’re better now.

I really like both and buy both every year. For reds, I feel like JM Pillot uses a bit more oak than the whites. I don’t know Paul Pillot’s reds.

1 Like

With the caveat that I don’t drink a ton of Burgundy, am not any sort of authority, etc etc: I’ve always found Jean-Marc’s 1er whites excellent, and very fairly priced.

I will probably continue to buy them regularly.

Wait, what?! I thought you had sworn off 18 Burg because it wasn’t your style? [stirthepothal.gif]

I have both of the Clos St Jeans from several vintages from Paul Pillot (Thierry Pillot) and Jean-Marc Pillot. I love Clos St Jean as a red vineyard. My favorite is Ramonet which I feel is the apex of expression here. The JM Pillot version is silky and shows many of the characteristics of the Ramonet. It is slightly deeper in extraction. The Paul Pillot version is more like the texture of Moreau to me. More extracted in a way but still very silky and not at all overdone. These vines at Paul Pillot are VERY old. Many are almost 100years old. This automatically gives you a real heft and assertive feeling to the wines. Hope this helps.

They really are all quite different and as such enjoyable on their own merits. Cheers to you fellow Chassagne red lover.

2 Likes

Thanks. Got in new CM red yesterday that I am anxious to try. The wines are 2017 Domaine Heitz-Lochardet Chassagne-Montrachet Morgeot Rouge. I very much like Armand Heitz’s whites, so I will be excited to try a red from CM from him.

1 Like