Ridge Monte Bello Estate 2018 Jimsomare Zinfandel

Got his offer from Ridge today. I haven’t tried this before but price is good and user reviews of past releases seem good so went in for a few bottles:

RARE ZIN FROM MONTE BELLO ESTATE
2018 Jimsomare Zinfandel
In years where the weather conditions are just right, we produce a small bottling of zinfandel from the nineteenth century vines at the Jimsomare Ranch on our Monte Bello Estate. This small parcel of low-yielding old zinfandel vines allows us to produce just 10-15 barrels in vintages that merit a Jimsomare bottling. The 2018 growing season produced a rich, intense Jimsomare with complex mountain fruit and firm acidity that will continue to evolve over the next fifteen years.

Winemaker Tasting Notes:
“Opaque purple color with nose of baked cherry cobbler, ripe plum, crushed rock and exotic oak spices. Rich and full-bodied with dark bramble fruit and lively acidity.”

Speaking of which, because I have a couple of bottles of the 1973, what is the deal with Ridge Monte Bello Zinfandel?

Yup, Clayton…most of those old MonteBello Zins came from the lower Jimsomare vnyd, sometimes some from PichettiRanch. There used to be old Zin on the upper MonteBello
ranches, but I think those are pretty much replaced by Bdx varieties now. I would guess your '73 MB Zins are starting to fade, if not dead, as '73 was not a particularly strong vintage for Ridge.
But, of course, I could be wrong. Try one & let us know.
The Jimsomare Zin is a no-brainer purchase for me when they make one. Just bought a hlf-case of this '18 version.
Tom

If my cellar wasn’t already bursting, I would jump on this.

Thanks for the heads up, I ended up getting 3 of the 2018 Jimsomare Zinfandel, and added a 2018 Klein Cabernet Sauvignon. I’ve not had either before, but feel Ridge is always a quality purchase. Might end up opening one of Zins up in the next few weeks, to see if I want to go back in for a few more.

Well, Chris…expect, because it was only 14 brls, these will sell out pretty fast. I usually go long on the Jimsomare because I know I can
always find a home for the excess.
Tom

One of the Zins I purchase every year.

Thanks guys for the heads up Tom about the likely brisk sell-out! Mike–I’ve read a ton of your tasting notes, and if it’s a buy for you, yearly, it should be pretty good!

I think the MBs were always a blend of the two. What I’ve seen of that era the designations went back and forth, so some years had the two SVDs and some had a MB.

We did an extensive vertical of these five or so years ago, with Dave Tong hosting. Attendees included Rich Gibbons and Richard Jennings. Fantastic stuff.