A wine list

Ranging from painful to confiscatory, it is true, but this is quite a list of Italian wines. We bought a gift card in the darkest days and will be using it in the not too distant future. And I’ll be slumming off the list (no corkage)

The Champagne list isn’t too shabby either.

GONIFF !!! [swoon.gif]

Overall it’s a very good list IMHO. The pricing is usurious.

RT

Prices look like 3x retail. We’ve only had lunch at Fiola and it’s quite nice. Fiola Mare is good but not the same as Fiola.

Almost as bad as PA.

Big spenders that we are, my wife and I wd most likely order a magnum of San Pelligrino

1 Like

Great list, brutal prices.

I think I’d do the Benanti Monte Serra. Don’t really see anything but their Rossi around and that markup looks tres fair.

Looking over PA winelists can lead to PTSD.

RT

Corkage!

Yikes! Jacques Lassaigne Les Vignes de Montgueux at 2.3x Chambers pricing?

Neil,

I don’t know if you are looking for recommendations, but the 2013 Roagna Langhe is better than many Barolos and a fair price.

I found 2 whites that I think are great bargains at retail. So while the markup is still criminal, it bothers me a touch less. Plus they are some of the lowest prices on the list. No such luck with reds or sparkling.

15057 Vietti, arneis, Roero 2017 65

15477 Azienda Colli di Lapio di Romano Clelia, fiano di Avellino, Lapio 2017 75

If you have access to an electron microscope, you can find ‘reasonable’ prices for Piedmont wines from the last century.

A crucial question: How do they feel about taking back wines that are blatantly dead? If the answer is ‘yes’, I’m good with a 1970 Produttori Pora for $365. I would go in expecting it to be very great wine, but would expect my money back if it was clearly over the hill.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

2x seems typical in many restaurants. However, this wine has one of the lowest multiples on the list.

11 Chidaine wines at an Italian place. Strong.

'89 Massolino Vigna Rionda Riserva = $390. Looks like an outlier on an otherwise insanely priced list. Not only is that a great price, but it’s the sort of bottle that is probably about impossible to find at any price.

Nice list.

When will some restaurants learn that if they just priced their wines at a reasonable markup, they would sell more bottles, and thus make a higher profit overall…price the wines so people say “wow, that is not too bad a price for that wine, let’s get it”, and maybe, just maybe, they order a 2nd bottle. Instead, a list like this makes people say “wow, these prices are insane…let’s spend 15 minutes looking for a lower priced wine that we can at least maybe enjoy with our dinner, but just one bottle for sure”!..

2 Likes

Yes, either that or 2014 Giacosa Valmaggiore.