K&L wine stops shipping to 4 more states.

Just got notification that K&L wine is no longer shipping to Nebraska, Idaho, Wyoming and New Mexico. I don’t know what’s going on with them these days. They keep on eliminating state’s they ship too. They said the reciprocal agreements are expired and they also only apply to wineries. I really like them but this is just getting plain silly. [soap.gif]

American wine laws are so backwards

All the protect children, of course.

If you include local retailers and wholesalers, as children.

What do they ship to like 5 states now? They have been dead to me for years because of their take on shipping.

1 Like

Ditto!

1 Like

Same; they’re losing an immense amount of business from this policy:

I have about 2 cases of prearrival wines but they now no longer ship to Colorado (or Wyoming). What are they going to do?

NY getting no love.

I wrote a post and then deleted it. It’s not a good idea to describe on a public forum which stores still ship where, or how they do it.

I don’t think that it is a secret that some are using third party shippers.

I also live in Colorado. I’ve been shipping to the FedEx office in Cheyenne Wyoming. I’ve been told since that was my original shipping address they’ll still ship there but any new orders won’t. I have like 12 cases of Pre-arrival on order. I wonder if this a case of not wanting to fill out the paperwork for each state or are they getting pressured by California tax authorities? [swearing.gif]

Another Colorado resident here who also made the biannual trek to Cheyenne to get my K&L deliveries. This is a real shame as 90%+ of my wine business goes to K&L. I asked about this change, why they’re banning so many states when most other CA retailers still ship to CO and WY, and they made it sound like a pure risk management call by their legal department. Plus, I think a large bulk of their business is within CA or overseas, so they have less incentive.

Wherever the reasons, it sucks.

Their actions and their response tell me they don’t need or want my business going forward. There are plenty of places that still do. Cr@ppy after spending thousands of $$ there on futures for the better part of two decades.

Same man. Can no longer buy from them in AZ, and while I did have a good experience selling some wine through K&L a few years back…there’s no way I’d even think about consigning with them now given the limited number of states that they service.

1 Like

Just a bunch of baloney. NM has a general reciprocity law that allows any states that allow NM to be shipped in are allowed similar reciprocity previledges.
It states nothing about it being wineries or retailers, just general reciprocity. And no agreements are required. They just must collect the NM tax, report the sales periodically,
and remit the taxes to NM. There have been no changes in the NM shipping laws. It is probably is just lazy about collecting the NM taxes (which most retailers don’t bother to),
they just collect CA taxes (and whether they remit them to CA is unknown) and lazy about doing the required reporting.
Tom

Still shipping to south FL, and our 7 or 8 hour shipping window each year.

I understand the frustration and annoyance, but hard to believe it’s stupid. K&L seems like a pretty well run business. This seems like a pretty straight up business decision - there are real costs to ship to each state, even if minimal. Costs > Profits and it’s not a hard decision.

3 Likes

Generally, these changes are driven by changes in enforcement even if no new laws were passed. K&L is a large target, not the same for them as for a smaller operation.

NM law appears to allow non resident producers to apply for a shipping license, but not retailers. Maybe it was not previously enforced.

-Al

1 Like

Agreed. People are somehow taking this personally when it probably has to be based on either possible legal issues or the hassle of submitting the required paperwork and taxes, etc. If there are only 12 people in NM buying wine from K&L it probably isn’t worth their time and money to continue servicing that state. If it were hurting their overall profitability then they wouldn’t stop shipping there.

1 Like

Don’t hate them. Contact your legislators to CHANGE THE LAWS.

2 Likes