TN: 2016 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard (USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros)

• 2016 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (5/23/2021)
    Seeing my parents for the first time in nearly 18 months due to the pandemic. First night it was lobster and Ramey Chardonnay. The 2016 Hyde remains a focused, bright version. It still has the expected spice character, and the lingering depth one expects from Ramey Hyde, but this is a race car edition. Lovely stuff. Glad to have a bunch more.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Sounds like a great pairing. Glad you enjoyed it. Like you, I’ve just concluded a visit with my parents after not seeing them in several months; we chose Sonoma valley. Got to try the 2018 Hyde as well. All quite delicious! Ramey’s current facility is under construction, but wasn’t too much of a distraction. We really enjoyed the visit.
D0341E8D-8FB2-4C97-BEA2-194181F1D726.jpeg

1 Like

I have not yet tasted the 2018 Hyde. Need to rectify that soon.

1 Like

The 2018 Ramey Chardonnay are across the board the best I have tasted with David in the last decade.

1 Like

I have never tasted any Chardonnay from Hyde. What vintner would be a good intro to the vineyard?

Ramey’s is on the shelf at our market, but it looks pretty old, and is $80 something.

Massican is great, but a different style. It still tastes like Hyde.

Previous vintages of Ramey Chardonnay, if stored correctly can be very good. David opened three Ritchie for me last week; 2004, 2013, and 2018, and although the 2004 was mature it was still not what I would consider ‘old’ at 17 years. Also, current prices for the designated vineyard Chardonnay are $70. A price of $80 may be reasonable based on the condition.