TN: 2019 Acri Wine Company Cabernet Franc (USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County)

• 2019 Acri Wine Company Cabernet Franc - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (5/24/2021)
    Never had much luck with Cab Frank, but can’t say I’ve trawled the earth for it either. This is the first one that spoke to me on this level. Yes, I do know the winemaker Ben, but honestly think he’s hit it out of the park with this one (hopefully I’m not too biased). He’s a young guy here in LA that’s concentrating on SoCal fruit and this is his first vintage. He’s taking fruit from some very interesting vineyards in San Diego, far removed from the beaten Temecula path. San Diego actually has a very long and storied history of grape growing.

Dirt on the nose with some fruit trying to pierce through. Wonderful earth and graphite on the palate. Chalky-light tannins. Not heavy, not over-oaked, just right. Great stuff. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

sounds good. what other san diego-area producers would you recommend?

J. Brix has some interesting carignane and cinsaut sourced locally in addition to their SBC work. Vesper has the same sources locally, but I don’t have as much experience. Vesper did a Pinot from a vineyard near Encinitas that I enjoyed. Also was on the wine list at Juniper & Ivy for a while.