TN: Two Italian Biancos....(short/boring)

Tried these two Italian Biancos ystrday:

1. Foradori Fontanasanta ManzoniBianco IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (12%; Louis/DressnerSlctns; www.AgricolaForadori.com) ElisabettaForadori/Mezzolombardo/Trentino 2019: Med.gold rather cloudy/murky color; quite strong pungent/SO2/reductive odor that clears overnight; very strong phenolic/ViniMacerati/very resiny no fruit very slight honeyed nose; very tart/acidic/tangy/teeth-chattering very strong VM/phenolic/resiny quite austere some tannic no fruit flavor w/ strong bitey tannins; very long pungent/reductive strong phenolic/VM/resiny quite tart/tangy/acidic/sour no fruit earthy rather tannic quite austere finish; a singularly unpleasant VM that will only get better w/ 5-10 yrs age; not a bit of fruit peeps thru; even at room temperature the VM character dominates everything. $35.50 (KK)

1. Vietti Timorasso Dd’OC: ColliTortonesi/Derthona (13%; L-1979; DellaTerra) Vietti/CastiglioneFalletto 2018: Light gold color; very fragrant floral/Timo/spicy/pear/carnations/peach some herbal/SB-like bit floral/Viog-like very aromatic some complex lovely Timo nose; fairly tart/tangy fairly rich/lush very spicy classic Timo/floral/carnations/pear/peach slight herbal/SB-like very Viog-like/rich/plush slight chalky/earthy lovely flavor; very long/lingering lightly tart/tangy rather rich/lush quite spicy/floral/carnations/pear/peach slight herbal/earthy/chalky finish; quite rich for a Vietti white; a very/very good expression of Derthona Timo as good as most I’ve had from WalterMassa; reminds a lot of Piemonte Favorita done in a Chard-like style; beautiful Timo. $30.00 (BdV)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Foradori: ManzoniBianco is the cross between Riesling X PinotBianco. Frmtd on the skins in concrete tanks.
    This wine was totally dominated by the VM/phenolic character. Even at room temperature and w/ food, the wine was pretty unpleasant. But, based on the recent '15 I had, which was only beginning to show some drinkable maturity, and given it’s an ElisabettaForadori wine; you can only believe that it will be very good down the road. Sometime you just gotta believe. But for drinking now…forget it.

1. Timorasso: This was an extra btl that Greg had leftover from a Vietti tasting a few months ago that he sold to me. To my knowledge, this is the first Timorasso from Vietti. The '19 should be arriving here in NM this next month.
    Given the lighter character of most Vietti whites, I was not expecting much from this wine. It performed way above its pay grade. It had the beautiful aromatics I expected but much more heft/weight/texture than I expected.
    Timorasso is a great grape…maybe the best in the Piemonte. It has the perfume/fragrance of a Viognier/Vermentino and the heft/weight of a Chard. I see no reason this won’t age well.
    Tom
1 Like