TN: 2016 Vigneto San Vito - Orsi Pro.Vino

That last time I had this was the 2010 vintage at Elena in Montreal. It knocked my socks off so much then that I reached out to the importer only to learn that it was resto allocated only. Back then the blend was a bit of a mystery with some saying it was predominantly cabernet which didn’t seem right. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I find three bottles online but this time the grapes are clearly labelled on the back as 60% Barbera and 40% Negrette.

Decanted for sediment and let breathe for about an hour. Initially, on the nose very rustic. Cedar, macerated raspberry, balsamic. On the palate a fistful of wild strawberries dipped in vinsanto. A touch of brett, a little VA, and medium plus tannin. After a couple of hours though it morphed into what can best be described as Amarone-like but without the heavyness or heat. Stewed plums, dried cherries, tar, and a damp earth. The wine has this incredible length. This might be too generous but it really reminded me of Quintarelli’s Valpollicella. Insane QPR.

What a tremendous wine.
IMG_2155.jpg