Articles on Timorasso...

Some interesting articles on Timorasso:
Early Timo History

LateHistory Timo

OakUse in Timo

that comes from the wineORL blog:
wineORL Blog ,
but danged if I can find the name of the Blogger other than his first name is Keith.

Timorasso, probably the best white wine made in the Piemonte, was originally highly regarded as a table grape/eating variety. It’s rebirth dates to 1985 in the hands of EnioFerretti & WalterMassa. Franco Martinetti was later an important player.

I’ve had the WalterMassa Timos that first made me so impressed by the grape. But there are other ColliTortonesi/Derthona Timos that are just about as good.

Some yrs ago, I was meeting up at BergamotAlley wine bar with SamBilbro/Idlewild to taste some of his new releases. They had a WalterMassa Timo on the shelf. When I quizzed Sam about it, he hadn’t recalled tasting it. I mentioned I “just happened” to have two other Timos in the trunk of my car (just how many other wine nuts travel around with two…count 'em…two Timos in their car??), so we set up a small horizontal tasting there at BergamotAlley. All three were impressive.
BryanHarrington brought in the original (legally) Timo cuttings for clearance at FPS/UCDavis. At Bryan’s suggestion, Sam got the first release of cuttings from FPS and has them planted at his Yorkville Highlands vnyd.

So the World’s greatest Timo will be released this Fall by Sam/Idlewild. The first #1 btl is destined for LosAlamos.
I’m hoping that KevinHarvey/JeffBrinkman will get interested in Timo and plant it at their CentennialMtn vnyd.

Anyway, it’s a grape variety they should be planting all up&down the coast of Calif.

Tom

In the nicest possible way Tom … STFU!

[wink.gif]

I’m joking of course. It’s a grape I really have enjoyed, yet one where there have been disappointments amongst the highlights. Overall it’s in credit with me, though oddly I find myself leaning towards some of the ‘lesser’ labels that often come in at 0.5-1% alc lower than grander bottlings. Whilst I love the way the wines can straddle the red meat / white meat divide, which is very handy indeed, I do find the bigger wines can be just a bit too viscous in the mouth (in the same was high alc viognier and Gewurz can put me off)

I have bought a couple handfuls of the Massa timorasso bottlings–the single vineyard and the basic cuvee–and I urged Greg St. Clair to please bring more of it to K&L. There’s not a ton of it, so it’s good that Sam is taking up the mantle in the US.

Actually, Keith’s blog has many more articles on Timorasso, going back all the way to April 9.
Absolutly fascinating reading if you have any interest in Timo.
Tom

Drinking a 2016 La Colombera Il Montino right now. Wow. Where has this been all my life?
Thanks for the links, Tom!

Yup, Dennis… that’s the LaColombera single-Vnyd Timo… and it’s a great one.
One of his blog entries is on LaColombera.
Imported by Oliver McCrum I believe.
Tom

1 Like

That’s me.

Imported by and consumed by.

Just had the '16 regular LaColombera this weekend (no TN posted) w/ Susan and it was absolutely delicious. Going back
& buy their last 3 btls at about $21.
Tom

1 Like

Where can I buy it, Oliver, or do I have to break into a warehouse somewhere?

The bloggers name is KeithEdwards out of Orlando, Fla. He’s active on KenVastola’s Barola&Barbaresco Facebook Group.

Keith just put up another blog post on another Timorasso producer a few days ago.
All of the blog posts on Timorasso, going back to early April, are very good reading. See OP for the link.
When he exhausts the Timorasso subject, I’m going to take all those Timo blog posts, hard-copy them,
and bind them up in a little booklet to share w/ all my Timo friends, which must number in the thousands!!
Tom

Sorry, Richard, I totally missed this at the time.

I drink most of it, but the Wine House in LA ordered some of the regular estate-bottled Timorasso ‘Derthona’ recently. Email me directly if you have any questions, oliver at om wines com.

There’s another wonderful producer that seems to be flying under the radar: Luigi Boveri. To me he is Top 5, possibly Top 3. I think his Derthona “classico” is one of the best, and the Filari is definitely one of the reference bottlings for the variety, every bit as good as Massa’s singe vineyards, Mariotto’s Pitasso, or Semino’s Montino.

Thanks, I think I still have the contact info in my email, too. If I were younger and more agile, I might still consider the cat burglar route, though.

Boveri Giacomo is also in top 4 IMO

Interesting blog post ystrday by Kieth:

on Timorasso from the Val Borbera, the highest altitude area for growing the grape in the Colli Tortonesi.

Not had any of the Timo from Ezio Poggio. Would love to try one.
Tom

I really liked that wine and I’m going to pick up a few more soon.