Statute of limitations on corked bottles from mailing list

Ok, we must have been over this a million times but here I am. We opened our last 2011 Sax#m Heartstone to celebrate a special occasion and to our surprise it was corked. I say surprised because we’ve opened over a hundred bottles through the years and have never had one, so it wasn’t even a consideration. In fact we tried to talk ourselves out of it over a half a glass, but sadly no it was flawed. We love that vintage from them and always wish we would have gone deeper.

I’m on the fence here about contacting the producer honestly though because 2011 was our last full vintage purchase. We were on the list from 2003-2011 and while we still really enjoyed the wines, it was becoming just too big a % of the cellar, so we made the decision to drop out until we could drink some down. At this point so much time has past I certainly couldn’t expect the same bottle, but we haven’t even been a paying customer for almost 10 years!

I’m wondering what others experiences and thoughts might be with producers of whom you are no longer purchasing from. We were fairly big early supporters so one one hand I think it’s not an unreasonable ask. On the other I think we’ve had a hundred bottles and lost one (and another hundred to drink) who cares…but on the other (you/I could go on on so I’ll let you) :slight_smile:

Most wineries will gladly mail you a new bottle if you report one being flawed. It happens all the time. Less with domestic wineries then European. If a winery has issues making things right with a flawed bottle, certainly reconsider purchasing from them again

It was corked the day it left the winery but I’d probably move on. It’s just one bottle.

I once had a badly corked magnum of 1990 DRC Richebourg that I opened at a birthday celebration. A friend who used to work w Wilson-Daniels took it up with them, as did I. She and I were unsuccessful getting any resolution or even an answer.

I’d always at least try to contact the winery. They sold a good that wasn’t merchantable, which by its nature typically wouldn’t be revealed as faulty several years after sale. I imagine replacing faulty bottles is an anticipated cost of business that they’ll gladly spend to maintain goodwill.

I know you bought those in a different era, but that’s still the type of thing that keeps a cap on my risk vs reward balance in check. Can’t stand the craps table either…

95% of the time I just ignore the corked bottles for whatever reason, but when we are at $100 that’s a mental point where we are hoping for an experience. To my memory this is the first bottle of that level that’s been corked. I’ve had plenty of funk(y)(ed) stuff but can’t think of another corked remarkably. Restaurants are a whole different story…don’t let me order.

If it’s corked, it’s corked. Does not matter vintage. Does not matter price.

The only way the system changes is if wineries realize that this is unacceptable. Period.

Cheers.

Robert -I don’t believe in a “statute of limitations” on corked bottles, especially one purchased directly from a winery. Many mailing list customers choose to age their wines so it makes sense that they would not discover the flaw for some time.

Having said that, I do understand your ambivalence since you no longer purchase from the winery. However, knowing Justin’s customer service, I am sure they would want to know and replace your bottle, regardless of whether you are still a customer.

I would definitely contact them and ask if they can do anything.

Top Burgundies and their importers are a very different story. I don’t think it should be, it is. I guess at some point, if someone doesn’t have to care, they don’t. That’s sort of like the whole cork situation in general, which is why, as Larry said, I think it should be mentioned.

Saxum has been great about replacing corked bottles. Not that I’ve had a lot of them.

indefinite, it’s a flawed product. But I generally wouldn’t expect the same vintage, but a replacement from a more recent vintage

2 Likes

Writing off one bottle out of a hundred doesn’t seem unreasonable. However, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reaching out in a gracious tone with no expectation or entitlement and seeing how they respond.

1 Like

If anyone gets a corked wine from me, new or old, let me know and I’ll replace, refund or credit. I don’t know why any winery would do it differently. And if you’re thinking right now - customers will take advantage of you - what blanket contempt for the people who make your business and your work possible.

7 Likes

I agree with the first statement and in support of the 2nd statement I shall refuse to buy DRC forthwith!

2 Likes

Never had a corked Saxum, and I have opened many.
I would email them; I have found their customer service to be quite good.

I did open a Rhys wine that was corked - they sent me a replacement.
Same with a Kosta Browne wine - replacement sent with an apology.
I had a corked Sineann - Resonance Vineyard Pinot, and emailed Peter Rosback at the suggestion of Loren Sonkin - a friend of the winemaker. Peter sent a replacement bottle - albeit not the same vintage.

For me, one reason why I buy directly from the winery is that they often are willing to stand behind their wines. You might not get the same vintage, but that’s better than nothing.

As Vincent shows, good folks want to treat their customers right.

I once posted a Cellar Tracker tasting note on a Franny Beck pinot that I purchased during a Ber$erker Day. Michael Sterling contacted me after reading the note - indicating that based on my notes, the wine must have been flawed. Sent me a replacement.
I don’t always buy Oregon Pinot Noir, but when I do, I know some winemakers who make good products that I like to support.

This is an underrated point. I think we (quite rightly) talk about whether buying from the winery may be a little better or worse economically than buying those wines from retail, but this is something to factor into the equation.

If you bought your Saxum from some internet retailer elsewhere in the country, I don’t know what your odds are that the retailer would do anything for you, but by buying direct from them, I’d say it’s extremely likely they will make it right.

My sense of Justin Strider Smith is that he would want to know if a bottle was corked.
From my desk chair, I get the impression Justin works hard to build his brand and cares about the wines he puts out as well as the people who buy them.

Absolute confidence that Saxum will make you whole if
You choose to let them know. Granted, posting this question here has pretty much let the winery know of your corked bottle. I’d bet we see a post from them here in the near future.

You’re a good guy! For me, personally, I generally do not even fret about a single bottle of corked wine. I’ve built up so many good relationships with producers I feel like I would always want to privately let them know if there were multiple bottles in case there was a problem they needed to address somewhere down the line. But to me a single bottle of corked wine is just part of the business that we’re all in. But I do appreciate your stance on the subject. For the record I have received replacement bottles from many a berserker business without asking for one.

Was trying to avoid this by my spelling…Sax#m! … at least until I thought it over and heard some thoughts. I appreciate everyone’s input.

y’all should try what I do:

just dont have the ability to detect TCA. it makes this whole thing much more streamlined.